Need some help guys!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Has your favorite ML manufacture made improvements on there guns versus 12 or 15 years ago. Please list them and why you think it's better. Thanks to all who participate!!

This isn't gonna be much help...my favorite manufacturer is White Rifles/MTI/White Muzzleloading, etc. They haven't improved since they have been out of business since 10-15 years ago or more. These rifles an shotguns just plain shoot and kill deer/squirrels/turkeys or whatever you are shootin at.

There you go... :yeah:

toytruck said:
This isn't gonna be much help...my favorite manufacturer is White Rifles/MTI/White Muzzleloading, etc. They haven't improved since they have been out of business since 10-15 years ago or more. These rifles an shotguns just plain shoot and kill deer/squirrels/turkeys or whatever you are shootin at.

Hey, I love the 45 Super91. It would be my number 1 choice for shooting Conicals. But if I bought one, I would send it to Bob Bowers and have him do his magic. You White guys are very stubborn and love your guns. But Underclock and super91 will tell you all the good and bad about them. But you might need to get them alone to hear the bad stuff. :wink:

Grouse said:
toytruck said:

Hey, I love the 45 Super91. It would be my number 1 choice for shooting Conicals. But if I bought one, I would send it to Bob Bowers and have him do his magic. You White guys are very stubborn and love your guns. But Underclock and super91 will tell you all the good and bad about them. But you might need to get them alone to hear the bad stuff. :wink:

My .451 Super91 was bought from Tom Lodge, a White dealer in Hawaii, the rifle came from Utah when White still had them for sale and it was glass bedded and black iced to boot. I will never sell it! I average two deer every year I have had the rifle if I do my part. Put two in the freezer last month too! 8)

toytruck said:
Grouse said:
toytruck said:

My .451 Super91 was bought from Tom Lodge, a White dealer in Hawaii, the rifle came from Utah when White still had them for sale and it was glass bedded and black iced to boot. I will never sell it! I average two deer every year I have had the rifle if I do my part. Put two in the freezer last month too! 8)

I remember him very well. I just can't remember the name he used on huntamerica back in the day.

Grouse said:
toytruck said:
Grouse said:

I remember him very well. I just can't remember the name he used on huntamerica back in the day.

does rattus ring a bell?

The newest model I have is my first. a z5 Omega.

The others are Knights. I've tooled around with my Buddies new gins.

A quick release BP is pretty handy.

Being able to shim the Optima for no blowback is nice.

I must admit the Accura V2 is a handsome gun and the break action is nice.

I still like the Knights and don't see changing.

toytruck said:
Grouse said:
toytruck said:

does rattus ring a bell?

Yep, that's it

LarryBud said:
The newest model I have is my first. a z5 Omega.

The others are Knights. I've tooled around with my Buddies new gins.

A quick release BP is pretty handy.

Being able to shim the Optima for no blowback is nice.

I must admit the Accura V2 is a handsome gun and the break action is nice.

I still like the Knights and don't see changing.

I like Knight rifles as well. The improvements I have seen in Knight rifles versus Knight guns built 12 or 15 years ago is pretty significant to me.

1- breech plugs designed to ignite all powders.
2- Kevlar stocks is an awesome improvement.
3- The Ultralite has an aluminum bedding block. Never saw anything like that in old knights.
4- Barrels are now made with tighter tolerances.
5- Barrels are all now protected with Dynacoat inside and out.
6- The Ultralite has a very thin walled barrel that I've never seen on any older Knight.
7- Bolts are all high quality machined bolts. No such thing with Knights in the past.
8- The Mountaineer comes with a 27" long barrel for those that think it's a benefit.

Thanks for posting!!

Really no favorite, own several brands

traditions - no

Thompson Center - no

Knight - really enjoy my Disc Elite in 45 cal, read way too many problems on the new ones , for the price, I would rather build my own fast twist 45 cal and shoot whatever powder I want

CVA - really enjoy my Apex and my son's Accura, easiest to clean, BH209 breech plug works very well, great adjustable trigger, I like the all stainless steel barrels with flutes, stocks and forends have a good feel, prices are usually pretty good

Custom - my itch right now that I have to scratch, fast twist 45 cals with Reminton ML actions, pretty much the skies the limit on what I want to do with them, 3rd one in the works in a couple of weeks :D

Knight has definitely continued to make progess and improvements .

Cva also has stepped up.

Tc not so much.

And my all time favorite factory Muzzleloader was a omega and with minor improvements would still be a fine option today

bestill said:
Knight has definitely continued to make progess and improvements .

Cva also has stepped up.

Tc not so much.

And my all time favorite factory Muzzleloader was a omega and with minor improvements would still be a fine option today
I have a chance to buy an Omega. If you don't mind me asking what minor improvements would you suggest??

Minor improvements would have been done in manufacturing.
Scope base moved forward 1 1/2" would really help eye relief and recoillugs both welded and a target crown muzzle. Slight trigger improvement. These are great Muzzleloader still

I'm thinking when they make a change - they come out with a new model, like T/C did with the Encore - changed the breech plug to a quick change and it was a new model.
If I can deviate a little from the topic - I don't even know what Manufactures were even out there 10-15 years ago? I know White, Austin & Halleck are no longer producing. What other manufactures?

chaded said:
Come on now, 10 years ago wasnt that long ago. Lol.

True: But, my 1st in-line was given to me about 6 years ago.
Really asking: what were ALL the mfg making in-lines 10-15 years ago?

Back