Need some help with advice to a friend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ART338WM

Reaction score
My friend has wants to buy a muzzleloder and he has an oportunity to buy one of the fallowing:

<>NIB .45 caliber Knight Disk Extream in stainless steel, black SYN/stock
<>NIB .50 caliber Knight Disk Extream same as above
<>$280 for eithor Knight
<>Used but in VG condition .50 caliber Encore 209x50 blued/walnut
<>$350 for the Encore

I own a first run Encore 209x50 so I was able to tell him all he needs to know good and bad about owning a Encore 209x50. However, I know vary little about Knight Disk Elites and certainly no where enough to advise him on weahter he should buy a Elite or not.

So what I need is help form the of owners of Knight Disk Elites to educate me on what is good and what you like about them and what you dislike about Disk Elites. What little I do know about Disk Elites i did not share with my friend as Im not sure the information is truethfull or accurate. I have read in a few posts about the potentail problem the Disk Elites plastic jacket that holds the primer allowing some blow back and the Elite might have a problem because of the same jacket with misfires. But again I do not know if this information is accurate. So would owners of Disk Elites please educate me on these two subjects as well as which caliber .45 or .50 is the better all around caliber for hunting.

My gut is telling me based on my 10+ yeras of shooting my Encore that the Knight disk Elites bolt action design would allow for much quicker and easior disasembly and cleaning as compaired to my Encore, and the Elite would be capable of at least as good of accuracy as the Encore, the Elite is cheaper and is stainless steel, so I would recommend he buy one of the Knights, but I realy need the input from Elite owners to confirm my assumptions.

Great thanks to any Elite owner who helps me out by educating me with their experiences.

Thanks,
Arthur.

The .50 caliber Disc Extreme would be my choice. They are one of the most accurate rifles Knight ever made I think. I had one for a short time. It was boring. Go to the range and drill a hole with it. Shot after shot, if I did my part it would shoot a 2" group at 100 yards.

They take the red primer jacket holder which makes it easy to carry your caps in the woods, load and unload. I would just slip ten in my pocket had I used it hunting. Since I already owned a Disc rifle, I traded the Extreme for a White rifle. I now kind of wish I had not done that. But I sure like my White.

The Disc is easy to clean, and the stock to hardware fit is exceptional. Plus you have the Knight guarantee behind it should anything go wrong. The do like powder. Mine shot 120 grains and a Barnes Expander with amazing results.

The Knight Disc Elite was probably the most accurate sabot/777 shooting muzzleloader on the market. I would bet still is. With the introduction of BH209 the oversized knight barrels arent as good with this powder. The Knight Extremes would not be any better, actually worse in my opinion. I would push your buddy to the Encore if he is going to use BH209. If not the Knights will be great. The T/C triumph would be better then all of them with BH209. :)

If the Encore is in real good condition,350.00 would be a great price.

Grouse said:
With the introduction of BH209 the oversized knight barrels arent as good with this powder. The Knight Extremes would not be any better, actually worse in my opinion.

Could you explain this, please. I don't own an Extreme but my Elite, Wolverines and Bighorns are shooting BH209 as good as any other powder...maybe better...certainly not any worse.

I agree greatbasin, until BH209 came out, I did not find a load that shot decent in my Knight Disc Elites at the speed I want. It is definately my most finicky ML. While the load I settled on shoots ok, its not great by any means.

greatbasin said:
Grouse said:
Could you explain this, please. I don't own an Extreme but my Elite, Wolverines and Bighorns are shooting BH209 as good as any other powder...maybe better...certainly not any worse.

I have owned two or three Extremes and about 6 Disc Elites. All knight rifles that i have owned have had larger bores then T/C for an example. This was great using 777 because of the fouling and crud ring. All bullets were fairly easy to seat and load. ALL my Knights shot the most accurate with fouled barrels. No spit patching between shots. I could load and shoot three shot groups without swabbing. Try doing that with a T/C ML using 777. It would be very difficult.

I'm not saying BH209 is no good in a Knight rifle at all. The Disc Elites would shoot a wide variety of bullets with 777 very accurate. You wont see the same results with BH209 until you have a pretty tight bullet sabot combination in the Disc Elites. My Disc Elite was shooting less then and inch at 150yds pretty consistent with 777.

Knight Rifles have always been my favorite ML. I just dont think they are BH209 ready like T/C Muzzleloaders are. :)

I have a 50 cal. Knight Disc Extreme that shoots BH209 very accurately. However, I agree the bore runs larger that TC and requires thicker sabots. I had to go to Knight High Pressure sabots to get good tight fits in my gun. If you want to shoot bullets with supplied sabots, you would probably be better off with the TC (at least thats been my experience, although limited). I agree, thats an excellent deal on the Encore if in good shape.

Thanks Grouse...very interesting.
I've been shooting only one brand of bullet (Barnes) with bh209, for over a year now. The sabots are tight enough in my Knights that I have to do a light swab. I do this for every shot not so much out of need, as I could probably go to every 2-3 shots, but for consistancy. I like to foul the bore with BH209 but, I also then run an almost dry patch down, and out once, with no scrubbing to leave a light foul from then on for every shot.
I have not tried looser sabots since switching to the BH209 but I understand your reasoning.

I would buy the encore because that sounds like a good price, and i already have a knight. My knight shoots BH209 very well (especially since i know how to clean out the breech plug now). They are both really good guns just sounds like the encore is at a good price. Plus its a hunting gun most likely not a competition gun, so what if one bore is slightly tighter than the other both will shoot beyond accuracy that is needed for a true hunting experience.

Also lets not forget your can get other barrels to swap out on the Encore also. Which IMO would make it a more versatile firearm and he could even go smokeless with it if he ever cared to.
Don

Thanks to all for well thought out responces and sound advice. My friend has since (last night) bought the Encore. We will be shooting them (his and mine) as soon as the weather allows for it. In other words, winds below 10mph.

I did not realize how good a price $350 is for a used Encore in VG shape is till now. I was not all that familure with what thay cost new now and I only paid around $450ish for mine from NSS back in the late 90s. My FFL transfer only cost me $10.

Again thanks to all.

Latest posts

Back