MK85 help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate the idea of drilling and using the extractors but it may come down to that.
Last resort imo. Heat, cool, heat, cool, heat then impact, there are manual impact drivers that work great. They usually come with a large flat bit. I wish you could just send me that barrel so i can get it out for you.

Last resort imo. Heat, cool, heat, cool, heat then impact, there are manual impact drivers that work great. They usually come with a large flat bit. I wish you could just send me that barrel so i can get it out for you.
You are more than welcome to come over anytime to get it out but may be a bit of a drive from Michigan :)

I agree with Michigan, the only thing that I would add is if it was mine I'd take it out of the stock and have it solid in a vice so that I could get the best angle to work from. If you find that the impact doesn't work and the slot in the BP gets chewed up drill and tap for a left hand thread or use an extractor.

I have an Omega that's in the vice right now because of BP issues, mine went really tight not solid. What I realized is that when I was trying to back it out was that the force I was using even with a 1/4" 7/16 socket was enough to torque the action in the stock. Much easier to work with the barrel held by 2 wooden blocks in the vice.

Good luck, I really hope that you get it out and that it's not too corroded in there..

I agree with Michigan, the only thing that I would add is if it was mine I'd take it out of the stock and have it solid in a vice so that I could get the best angle to work from. If you find that the impact doesn't work and the slot in the BP gets chewed up drill and tap for a left hand thread or use an extractor.

I have an Omega that's in the vice right now because of BP issues, mine went really tight not solid. What I realized is that when I was trying to back it out was that the force I was using even with a 1/4" 7/16 socket was enough to torque the action in the stock. Much easier to work with the barrel held by 2 wooden blocks in the vice.

Good luck, I really hope that you get it out and that it's not too corroded in there..
Yeah, the stock and trigger assembly are both coming off prior to any heating or clamping

Is there a scope or scope base on it? I had an mk that the breech plug wouldn't budge until I figured out that the scope base screws were too long and were acting like a set screw. Once I took them out the plug removed easily.
I noticed the screws a few days ago and removed them, added some kroil for a good soak but still nothing.

Looks like I'll be plowing snow for the next few days so it will be a while till I get around to putting heat to it

Like they said, I've had good luck with Kroil and a heat gun. heat it, then hit it with Kroil again, The heat tends to make the action expand just a little, letting the oil seep through. Let it sit another 24 hrs or so, then try it. Repeat if necessary..... ;)
So I've had it soaking in kroil for a while now and last night I finally had time to put a little heat to it and it popped out. It took very little heat and I'm happy with the results

I measured the plug and its 5/8"so I was going to order the conversion kit so I could also use 209's. They are currently out of stock which lead me to looking at other options and I got lost in that rabbit hole....

I would like to replace the current/original breach/nipple set up and dont know where to start as far as what to look for to give me longevity with number 11's.

Is there a 209 conversion offered other than the one from knight?

Is there some other ignition system I haven't mentioned?

As a reminder, I have the MK85 in .54 cal

Is there some other ignition system I haven't mentioned?
The new plug for #11 or musket caps is not slotted. You would use a regular socket to remove it.

A pic of the face of your hammer assembly could help also. Some assemblies work with both but are hard on nipples. If you have that assembly you can just buy the breach plug for red jacket 209s. The "universal" hammer has a cone in the center of it to set off 209s.

The inside diameter is .250 and I didnt see a cone other than manufacture marks

I would rather use a socket, its a more solid connection than the slotted

The inside diameter is .250 and I didn't see a cone other than manufacture marks

I would rather use a socket, its a more solid connection than the slotted
Now you have the plug out, how bad is it ? if it cleans up well and the threads in the breach are good, why not use what you have. My MK 85 has its original magnum plug and uses No. 11 primers. There's a lot of people that swear by the #11's who wouldn't ever want to change to modules and 209 shotshell primers. The MK85 as it came is a beautiful rifle that has taken a lot of game. If you want to use a 7/16 socket instead of the bar with flat screwdriver type end to remove the plug I can understand that. Replacement plugs and nipples aren't expensive and would last you a long time providing that you take care of them. You just need to put a bit of tape on the scope and clean the gun well. I have a few Knights that use either bare primer, modules or #11's for ignition. To be honest #11 is the simplest in that there is minimal set up and you aren't buying shotshell primers as well as modules. At the end of the day it comes down to choice.

Glad you got the BP out and I hope that you get a ton of enjoyment out of the gun.

I was going to say add heat. In my video with a stuck nipple. I show that I heated it up but I was testing the heat by touching it. It really doesn't need much heat to get stuff like this out.
I would get the new BP that uses a socket and leave it a #11 cap gun. It's legal in mmorestayes that way.
If I were going to shoot a 54 this is the bullet I would use.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=53-495P

Now you have the plug out, how bad is it ? if it cleans up well and the threads in the breach are good, why not use what you have. My MK 85 has its original magnum plug and uses No. 11 primers. There's a lot of people that swear by the #11's who wouldn't ever want to change to modules and 209 shotshell primers. The MK85 as it came is a beautiful rifle that has taken a lot of game. If you want to use a 7/16 socket instead of the bar with flat screwdriver type end to remove the plug I can understand that. Replacement plugs and nipples aren't expensive and would last you a long time providing that you take care of them. You just need to put a bit of tape on the scope and clean the gun well. I have a few Knights that use either bare primer, modules or #11's for ignition. To be honest #11 is the simplest in that there is minimal set up and you aren't buying shotshell primers as well as modules. At the end of the day it comes down to choice.

Glad you got the BP out and I hope that you get a ton of enjoyment out of the gun.
I have less than one tin of 11's and 209's are pretty easy to find right now, I like have both options but dont have any experience with the 209's and haven't shoot BP for over 20 years. A new 11 set up would be great and easier to work with while I save the old stuff for back-up and use the 209 for hunting and playing

I have less than one tin of 11's and 209's are pretty easy to find right now, I like have both options but dont have any experience with the 209's and haven't shoot BP for over 20 years. A new 11 set up would be great and easier to work with while I save the old stuff for back-up and use the 209 for hunting and playing

Availability is a solid reason to change.

Back