New .223

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Recently saw a deal pop up for a near new condition Sauer 100 in .223. I've thought about getting one to keep in the ute during work hours seeing as I'm in agriculture and always see foxes, hares etc. during the day. Farmers don't seem to mind having a few vermin shot off their crops either.

Grabbed a couple of different ammo types to try, all shot under MOA. It's a beautiful gun and a delight to shoot.

Came with a Hawke 4-12x50mm scope which I'll leave on until I can afford a nightvision and I'll swap between the two.

I owned a 202 years ago and didn't care for it. This is a cheaper model but I like it a lot more.Haven't taken any pics yet, but its a dandy. I'll post up something once I knock a red coat over.

I have one in a Tikka T3, when Barreta and Sako joined forces. Its a typical Tikka, with hand loads, 1/2” or better. Great coyote/ woodchuck gun..The 223 cal. definitely has its place around the farm…

While I own more than one AR none of em are 223/556.

My 223 is a Savage 12FV 26" heavy barrel converted to single shot topped with a Mueller 8-32x scope. Big heavy pig of a gun but sub-MOA with just about every reload recipe Ive tried and 1.5-2 moa with cheap factory ball ammo

For under $700 total, I dont think it can be beat ($1100 if you inclue a single stage reloading setup and components for 250 rounds)

I’m running 55gn Prairie Enemy factory stuff now. I can’t remember the brand but it’s a sierra blitzking at the pointy end.

I like the nosler 50 grain ballistic tip, the orange ones. I have used this load of 27.5 grains of winchester 748 for about 30 years now. 1/2” groups. It has taken a number of varmints on this hill including coyotes…

I like the nosler 50 grain ballistic tip, the orange ones. I have used this load of 27.5 grains of winchester 748 for about 30 years now. 1/2” groups. It has taken a number of varmints on this hill including coyotes…

Im pretty much paper and steel - 24.3 w748 and the cheap 62gr Hornady FMJs from midsouth go well uunder MOA and 24.5gr BLC2 under one of the RMR 69gr bthp is running right at MOA for the one 10 shot group Ive shot with it. Turkey season interrupted load development...

Im pretty much paper and steel - 24.3 w748 and the cheap 62gr Hornady FMJs from midsouth go well uunder MOA and 24.5gr BLC2 under one of the RMR 69gr bthp is running right at MOA for the one 10 shot group Ive shot with it. Turkey season interrupted load development...
I put a GRS stock on my Tikka 22-250, made in Finland also I believe, expensive but a super nice piece of equipment. Using the same bullets but running different powders, fantastic groups again. I also have a 6.5mm and a 270 which will also shoot 1/2” groups with my load development. I have set up and sighted in quite a few for family and friends and never had one that didn’t shoot lights out..

My 223 is a Savage 12FV 26" heavy barrel converted to single shot topped with a Mueller 8-32x scope. Big heavy pig of a gun but sub-MOA with just about every reload recipe Ive tried and 1.5-2 moa with cheap factory ball ammo

For under $700 total, I dont think it can be beat ($1100 if you inclue a single stage reloading setup and components for 250 rounds)
I have a savage model 12 in 22-250 and 308 and they both have 26" heavy barrels and shoot great and a friend of mine has a 223 but they are heavy rifles for sure but hard to beat the accuracy unless you spend more money

I had one in 22-250 many moons ago. Heavy and very accurate also

My cousin called up the other day and said his neighbor was moving to New York and had some guns to sell as he couldn't take them into NY. of course i wanted to see them. first on the list was a 1927 a1 deluxe Thompson. brand new in the box with stick and drum mags. 45acp .
my back pocket was much thinner then when i got there.
then he dragged out a Savage 112bvss in .223. Nikon scope. molded Pelican hard case.
wallet was almost flat.
then he pulled out a colt SP1 made in 1968. that one almost triggered flash backs. he cured that with more blood letting.
this makes 4 22 cal center fires in my cabinet.
that 112 bvss shoots 50g, 53g, 55g, bullets into .75 inch groups at 150 yards. can't match it with the AR or my 340 savage .222.
the 99 savage in 22-250 comes close. i built a 224 Valkarie that shoots as good but with heavies.
have been neglecting the muzzle loaders lately with these 22's being so much fun.

Like yours, I had a Savage 12BVSS in 22-250 many years ago. It was also a pig, but the accuracy was great..

Latest posts

Back