New Arrival

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one time Ultimate/Johnston and another custom ML builder were involved in a civil suit over the ignition design. IIRC Ultimate and Johnston won. I understand why they are rather secretive about it. A few companies still use a LR primer for ignition, just not in a 45mag case. I think BadBull for example uses a bare LR primer which is pressed into the plug when you close the bolt. BBs powder restriction seems even more bizarre and depriming them looks like a hassle IMO.

One thing i find very interesting is LP, LR and LR/LP Mag primers are all .210 and a shotgun primer's "anvil" is .209 (of course). I doubt there is any real "power" advantage between the mag primer versions. The CF rifle primers though are tougher and made to handle much higher pressures than we see in shotguns. Large pellet loads can easily reach 40kpsi and a 209 primer subjected to the full peak psi would likely fail. Many high pressure 209 plug designs use a removable "flash hole", vent liner or bushing and a larger flash channel volume to limit the amount of peak pressure that reaches the primer. Properly designed, a LR primer can be right next to the powder and has very little chance of failure even at 60kpsi.

Im not positive but i would not be too concerned about BH209 carbon build up unless its a known problem in the Ultimates. Ive shot a bunch in my ULA with mag 209 primers and for some reason i get almost no carbon build up in the flash channel. Its flash channel volume/length is very small/short but it appears the tight tolerances prevent blowby and buildup in the channel. I can only guess that the lack of blowby in the Ultimate should also prevent excessive carbon buildup. If combustion gasses cant move backwards, it shouldn't be able to bring the fouling with it.

Ultimate 45cal (custom?) pellet and 140gr BH209 target on Parkers Facebook page
247755_10151200237894628_529239613_n.jpg

Ultimate 50cal and 180gr BH209
580205_10151200233264628_788673203_n.jpg

Another Ultimate 50cal
577499_10150885575504628_734346842_n.jpg

Hey GM54-120 thanks for the pics and the info on the BH 209, I may try some down the road........I think it really doesn't matter what powder/projo you use. I know thats a broad statement, but U.F. offers 5 diff bullets with the same powder charge that get the same accuracy, although with shorter ranges. The barrel of this rifle is the centerpiece to its accuracy. I think you could put a firecracker and a patched round rabbit turd down there, and it would group. I know that down the road, I would like to find something cheaper to shoot. Shooting with pellets and U.F. ammo its about 2.70 per round (ouch!), but I got enough ammo with the gun to keep me shooting for a while.

One of my favorites for heavy sub loads is the 325gr FTX. I think retail is about 65cents a bullet. The BC is poor compared to a Parker but its not far off a 300gr SST. The Whitetail Medicine bullet appears to be a SST with a different color tip. You can buy them in 50pack bulk i think. You might also want to try some Harvester PT Golds, they are under 50cents each and shoot similar to a SST or slightly better.

BTW i did find a link to a pdf on Ultimates Facebook page. It showed a pic of the plug and it also had some loose T7 150gr load data.

Back