New Build Thoughts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocGP

Reaction score
Going to start a build soon and want your expert opinion on it. First is I just purchased a Jukar Kentucky stock on ebay and ordered a .50 cal Mountain rifle barrel from Deer Creek. My biggest question is about the lock and trigger. I have a lock for double set triggers and a set of triggers. How hard would it be to use these on the Kentucky stock? I do stock carvings but don't know until I get them for any idea as to extent of work. Has anyone done this conversion? Any advice for this project? Thanks! Long Shot

The set triggers should work with a little tweaking but the barrel you ordered will not fit the Jukar. The mountain rifle is a half stock with a hook breach and a 13/16 barrel, The Jukar has a tang screw and a 7/8 barrel. You need a Kentucky barrel. The people at Deer creek are great, give them a call and they will get you straitened out. Best of luck with your project, Dan

Long shot, Tallpine has some very good advice.  Talk to Deer Creek!  FrontierGander has also assessed the situation correctly.

I would be the last person to discourage you, however, the "first" thing you need to do is to; get a barrel to match your stock or a stock that fits your new barrel.

I've never converted a trigger but a lock will accept a single trigger or a double set trigger.  However since the rifle is already inletted for a single trigger, you have some work cut out for you to make it fit.  The trigger plate and the trigger itself are different size.  I don't know, but there may need to be an adjustment to the Tigger Guard and the Tang Bolt also. 

Good luck with your project!

Thanks Smokin Joe! I inlet the lock and trigger. and it was some work. I got a mountain rifle barrel in 50cal, 32 inch, and I did have to move trigger guard and tang bolt. Had to be moved back about a 1/2in. I bedded the tang and trigger plate. I still have more to do in the coming weeks. Thanks for the info. Long Shot

Sounds great!  Don't forget to post a picture of your rifle when you get it finished!!

Back