New deer rifle!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daman1

Reaction score
Guys,

I must have been a good boy! I got a call Sunday morning from my father-in-law --- come by and see me after church --- anyway went by and saw him. I had been talking about getting a 300 Savage in a Savage bolt (cause Savage is the only company that makes one). When I walked in he had that grin --- "Son I got something for you" he walks back to the bedroom and comes out with a well worn automatic rifle. Says, "I know it ain't a new one, but it is yours."

Remington Model 81 Woodsmaster
Caliber: 300 Savage

It needs some TLC, but it is going to be nice when I get finished. It has some rust and a little pitting. I plan on sanding and tung oiling the stocks and then having the gun blasted and polished and either hot blued or cerakoted. I am going to get a period correct Marbles or Lyman tang site for it and load up some 180 grainers and shoot the fool out of it!

It ain't a new Savage, but it does hold 80 years of family memories (wifes great grandfather owned it originally new from Remington) and me a married in guy got it instead of one of the cousins or grandchildren. I really like this rifle and appreciate it. I plan to rework it and hunt with it.

Daman

Ill take 80 years of family memories over a new gun anyday. Congrats n good luck with it.

Daman,

Awesome...I would love to see a pic of it sometime! They stopped making that in 1950. Only ever saw one once (kinda odd-looking at first glance with a military appearance), and it was in .35 Remington. Given it's age you might want to use standard velocity loads.

Hail to the .30 calibers in the Model 81 :cheers:, and the .300 Savage is certainly a proven deer cartridge.

Marty

FIL also gave me 4 boxes of Winchester vintage shells. I will chrono 10 and make my reloads mimic them.

I took 0000 steel wool and oil to the metal last night. Really made a difference.

Oh and Marty I have a 35 remington brother to this one, but it is a 1924 manufacture Remington 141 pump. I love the old Remmy's!

Daman

sqezer,

I am very intrigued with the 300 Sav. This one is getting a Leupold FX-II 2.5X28 IER or Burris 2.75X20 Scout. It has been D&T already and has the Weaver mount on the barrel.

I am fixing to go shoot it right now!

Daman

Back