new england slug guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckhammer

Reaction score
after searching many years for a reliable,accurate slug gun i came across the ultra slug gun. this gun is very accurate and easy to use. my hunting partners and i have 4 of these guns now in 20 and 12 gauge and all 4 shoot great, in fact one in our hunting group can shoot accurately out to 200 yards with the 3" buckhamer. this gun is under $ 300.00 .the trigger comes just under 4 lbs. but our local gunsmith sets them for us to 2 lbs. and this makes a difference. it is the norm to have holes touching at 100 yds. choate also sells a nice tactical replacement stock for them. this gun is heavy but you can get use to the weight.if you try one you will love it.

I have the H+R 20 gauge ultra slug hunter and use winchester partition gold slugs (260 gr.) I ordered it from WALMART a couple years ago .It cost about 200 dollars. I have taken several deer with it in Florida and Iowa. Most were dropped in there tracks and all dropped in eye sight. For the price you can't do better.

I am considering one of the youth models for my grandson. Does anyone have any experience with the youth model in 20 gauge? My main concern is recoil. I don't want to develop a flinch in a young shooter!

buckhammer said:
after searching many years for a reliable,accurate slug gun i came across the ultra slug gun. this gun is very accurate and easy to use. my hunting partners and i have 4 of these guns now in 20 and 12 gauge and all 4 shoot great, in fact one in our hunting group can shoot accurately out to 200 yards with the 3" buckhamer. this gun is under $ 300.00 .the trigger comes just under 4 lbs. but our local gunsmith sets them for us to 2 lbs. and this makes a difference. it is the norm to have holes touching at 100 yds. choate also sells a nice tactical replacement stock for them. this gun is heavy but you can get use to the weight.if you try one you will love it.

While the USH is certainly a reasonably accurate slug gun...to make the statement that it is accurate to 200yds with the buckhammers is more than a stretch...

As I mentioned the gun is good....but not anywhere that good....(nor for that matter are any of the factory slug guns on the market) :wink:

JC

Tiderunner said:
I am considering one of the youth models for my grandson. Does anyone have any experience with the youth model in 20 gauge? My main concern is recoil. I don't want to develop a flinch in a young shooter!

That's way too light to be shooting slugs out of, especially for a young shooter. That'll smack him around for sure. I would consider instead a 20 gauge Remington 1100 autoloader or similiar. If not, an remington 870 20gauge youth model would be something to consider.

Thank you for your post Doegirl. Maybe I'll look at a muzzleloader for him..... :lol:

Tiderunner said:

Does your state, or the location you will be hunting, require shotguns for deer? If so, see if you can use a muzzleloader instead. You can easily get much better accuracy, trajectory, and most importantly, less recoil from a muzzleloader. I love my sluggun, but having started my deer hunting career with one, I can say shotgun slugs are not the way to start a young hunter unless you absolutely have to.

If you are permitted to use centerfire, I would look at NEF handi-rifle in .243 Winchester or .260 Remington. Use a good bullet and either one is bad medicine on whitetails but will not be painful to the little guy. And price wise, one of those NEF models (reported to be very accurate) will not be more than a sluggun would cost you. And you'll save a bundle on ammo.

Tiderunner said:
Thank you for your post Doegirl. Maybe I'll look at a muzzleloader for him..... :lol:

I like that idea even better.. :D

Latest posts

Back