New Finish - Genuine Oil

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Saw this on birchwood caseys website. I will be ordering a couple bottles as I do love a satin finish. It applies the same exact way as their Truoil, only the end finish is satin VS high gloss.
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Wood-Finishing/Genuine-Oil-Gun-Stock-Finishing.aspx
23225_10.jpg

This might be a good finish for the Penn. rifle I'm working on now. Thanks for the tip.

A great oil! Just one tip. When you apply with. Apply it thin! Wait 12 to 24 hours as the instructions say. It just pulls the wood pattern out beautifully.

Jon is going give this product a test on an expensive rifle for me and then write an article for Backwoodsman on this GRRW Collectors Association rifle that will include: shooting as is (new unfired) unsighted in, then after doing his listed service for a comparison of before and after. Should be interesting with his findings.

Here's a list of what will be looked at with possible improvements. No matter the cost of the gun there's always something that can be found that could use some help, that's where 'FrontierGander's Services' comes into play.
-------------------------
   Accuracy Testing
   Internal Lock Polishing
   Trigger Polishing
   Accuracy Bedding 
   Coning the Muzzle
   Finish - Birchwood Casey's "Genuine Oil" finish.
-------------------------
[align=justify]Should be interesting how his processes could/should improve this J&S Hawken gun.  :ttups: [/align]

Yep! I will be using this oil on that stock. One thin coat every day until it goes back.

Trying to fit it locally to avoid shipping charges...

No luck yet...

Old No7

Old No7 said:
Trying to fit it locally to avoid shipping charges...

No luck yet...

Old No7
I sent this rifle (insured for $2K) from Utah to Colorado was $86.10 plus I'll have the same fee when coming home. UPS was cheaper than USPS or Fedex by a few bucks. My rifle is out for delivery today.

Jon just wrote me that my rifle is now at his place, he'll be home tomorrow and will let me know how it arrived. Shippers can be a real problem in not beating up your goods.

Just to show a couple before and after pictures. This rifle only had one coat of linseed oil on it and then I added 5 thins coats of genuine Oil to the stock to help bring out the color and figure of the maple. I did not go over crazy and make it look like a modern day shiny plastic stock, but gave it just enough to enhance and bring out the beauty.

Before
100_1710.jpg

100_1711.jpg

After,
100_2014.jpg

100_2015.jpg

100_2013.jpg

100_2016.jpg

100_2111.jpg

100_2110.jpg

I'm sitting here with my finger up my - never mind .....  :affraid:   waiting for the UPS driver. Their tracking says its out for delivery today, now on pins and needles..  :bounce:    :tongue:

Looks great, UPS Driver was just here, everything went well kid, thank you. Now while recovering after you stay at the hospital you can think about your article on this rifle for Backwoodman Magazine.  :Red tup:   :hats off:

whew! I am glad she arrived safely. The knot in my gut is now gone lol.

If you need a bottle of the oil just let me know and i'll send you one. I still have to package up the shoot out so you can continue to smooth out the barrel.

Latest posts

Back