New from Western PA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you looked at the CVA Crossfire? Uses the firesticks too. I would choose CVA over Traditions, if i were inclined toward those guns.
Yes, I did but they weren't available here 8 weeks ago. I checked everywhere and they were all on back order and there were none in the stores around here. I see just recently they've become available online at Gunbroker etc. So far I'm very happy with the traditions Nitrofire I purchased. Thanks for the reply!

Outside of availability, what were the features that you liked with the Traditions vs. CVA? I'm looking at both myself and will make a decision in the coming weeks.

Outside of availability, what were the features that you liked with the Traditions vs. CVA? I'm looking at both myself and will make a decision in the coming weeks.

They were very close. The Nitrofire has the cross-bolt safety that I really like. The CVA is available with Nitride coating for a price upgrade. The Nitro-fire I found was Stainless barrel/black composite stock. After I polished the stainless bore with 3M Scotchbrite, my accuracy tightened up and there were no microscopic fibers internal making it very very easy to clean. So the nitrite became a "so what" to me.

The fire-stick cartridges are a new Triple 8 powder that doesn't create a mess. Very little smoke and no offensive odor. The CVA comes with a scope rail which I liked. Although not expensive the Traditions scope rail was hard to find and didn't come with it. The CVA also has Palm saver on the ramrod.

My dealer said CVA customer support is poor and hard to deal with. They preferred working with Traditions. They are both over-priced but a lot of fun. Someday I'd like to shoot the CVA Crossfire and check the accuracy. Hope this helps.

Back