New Hoss in the stable

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincem

Reaction score
Found this baby on another forum and couldn't pass it up. GRRW Leman in 54. Gonna step out back before the snow starts and light her up.

LMfQkhi.jpg
LkghC77.jpg
HGv8f1P.jpg

gorgeous rifle! I especially like that knock at the rear section of the stock!

What's the serial number and I'll look up who built the rifle and when, may have first owner information.

Jon "knock at the rear section of the stock!" - are you referring to the grain in the wood below butt plate?

The serial # is 897. Need to talk to you about getting on the new build list as well. Thanks!!

Leman Trade Rifle serial number <a href='/tags/897' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #897'>#897</a> was built in mid Nov. 1974 by Bruce E. (no-one remembers his last name), the gun was sold to Old West Arms in Lakewood CO with several others at the time. Old West Arms (Don Novak) was one of the largest dealer's in Colorado next to John Korn's Trapper's Rendezvous. I had Doc White and Carl Walker on the phone for an hour on Bruce's last name, now they'll be up all night trying to remember.  :D   :cyclops:  They needed a break from building.

Thanks very much for looking that up. I spent a lot of time in Old West, he would let you look through the stacks of kit guns to pick the one that you liked. He later sold out to Deans firearms which was right up the street. Wish there was a good retail store down there in Denver now!

When Don Novak died his wife Pat called me at work leaving a message for me to stop at Old West Arms on my way home. Worked in south Denver lived in Estes Park - drove that 75 miles each way every day for 7 years. One time I woke up in Cheyenne missed by turn and drove another 75 miles up the road, gave that some thought and couldn't remember anything about the drive. Third time, I moved to Lakewood CO, now 20 miles from work.

Anyway, stopped bye Old West and Pat had a dozen Sharp rifles in the boxes that were old inventory and a half dozen GRRW guns in boxes -new. She wanted to know if I was interested as I had a muzzle-loading store in Estes. Had to turn around and head back down town to the credit union to get a check for everything she had for the Sharps (rifles, cartridge belts, dies, molds, brass) plus anything marked GRRW plus those guns. She priced/sold me everything off old invoices (some 5 years old), still cost $20K plus in 1979 (that was a lot of money back then for toys). We sold all the Sharps within 5 days and in 2 weeks all the GRRW guns were gone, nice profit.

Nice find. Id like to find a 54 hawken built by Gardell some day I have 2 by him now a 50 and a 58. Al

conner said:
When Don Novak died his wife Pat called me at work leaving a message for me to stop at Old West Arms on my way home. Worked in south Denver lived in Estes Park - drove that 75 miles each way every day for 7 years. One time I woke up in Cheyenne missed by turn and drove another 75 miles up the road, gave that some thought and couldn't remember anything about the drive. Third time, I moved to Lakewood CO, now 20 miles from work.

Anyway, stopped bye Old West and Pat had a dozen Sharp rifles in the boxes that were old inventory and a half dozen GRRW guns in boxes -new. She wanted to know if I was interested as I had a muzzle-loading store in Estes. Had to turn around and head back down town to the credit union to get a check for everything she had for the Sharps (rifles, cartridge belts, dies, molds, brass) plus anything marked GRRW plus those guns. She priced/sold me everything off old invoices (some 5 years old), still cost $20K plus in 1979 (that was a lot of money back then for toys). We sold all the Sharps within 5 days and in 2 weeks all the GRRW guns were gone, nice profit.
You got the top shelf stuff!

I was asked why Old West Arms sold out to Deans Sporting Goods. Pat Novak (Old West Arms) sold out and invested in a sporting goods manufacturing company outside of Golden called "Safe Co" they're the ones that make all the orange vests, hats, knit caps and other orange clothing for us hunters in North America.

That is one very good looking rifle.  I bet it shoots right along with the very best!

Buck Conner said:
I was asked why Old West Arms sold out to Deans Sporting Goods. Pat Novak (Old West Arms) sold out and invested in a sporting goods manufacturing company outside of Golden called "Safe Co" they're the ones that make all the orange vests, hats, knit caps and other orange clothing for us hunters in North America.
Until they all got made in Bangladesh.  :no:

patocazador said:
Buck Conner said:
Until they all got made in Bangladesh.  :no:

Don't know what your talking about, was by the manufacturing firm a few weeks ago and they are still making the garments as always.

Buck were those Green River rifles sighted in at the factory?  I was on the phone to Niel Fields a few weeks ago. I think I sent you pictures of a little leman rifle he built my late father, much in the style of these GRRW, there are a few of these Green River rifles down under, and some Niels as well. 
    More to the point a lovely rifle !

Cheers 
 Gordon

Back