New Knight Ultra-light - BP Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eltaco

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to start muzzleloading last season and with shortages being what they were, I ended up purchasing a used Knigh Mountaineer. That rifle had a Bestill 2pc plug in it, which functioned really well for my uses. That said, the Mountaineer wasn’t the rifle I really wanted for my type of hunting so I took advantage of the shorter lead times and put an Ultra-light on order.

Now that I’ve received it, I’m doing what I can to learn about BP options. From my research I’ve learned the factory plug flame channel can wear out relatively quickly which makes me want to find a more robust solution. I’ve reached out to Jeff regarding pricing for his Knight solutions, and I see also quite a few of you are using a Lehigh plug, which I can’t seem to find available anywhere.

Between those 3 options, will I need to set head spacing on my own? The process looks relatively straight forward, but I figure I’m going to have $30-40 into shims and shipping…so just wondering if I need to also account for that as I make a decision which direction to go.

Curious your thoughts on best direction to go for strictly a hunting rifle, but knowing I’ll likely keep this gun forever as long as it is similarly accurate as my Mountaineer was.

Thank you. That link unfortunately shows out of stock for the BP.

For those of you with the stock or Lehigh plug, I should probably ask, how many shots until you’re needing a new BP or Vent Liner with 110-120gr (v) of BH209?

Does anybody know if there’s another way to purchase the Lehigh plug?

Does Jeff still sell the 1pc plug option, or has he progressed to the 2pc option only with the sleeve glued Into the barrel?

As an individual that has tried Knight plugs, Lehigh plugs, and a Bestill plug, my opinion is there is no confusion which is best. Without question, Bestill' plug is all one will find in my rifle. Jeff sent me the two piece plug, but it could have been used as one piece if chosen to do so. It works perfectly as a two part; worked perfectly as a one part too.

All the head space work on all the plugs was simple enough to do oneself.

Jeff' plug is also the best one for Omega rifles.

If i'm lyin', i'm dyin'

Thanks for your insight.

I have an email out to Jeff and will wait to hear back on his options and pricing. I’m curious if I need to send my barrel and action assembly, or can save time and money by provide measurements and/or head spacing on my own.

Just not sure the best way to go, but I’m sure a conversation with Jeff will help to clarify.

I ordered two this morning along with a pack of vent plugs. They’re cheap enough I’ll have a spare in case I mess up the head spacing.

thanks for the help, gents.

Latest posts

Back