new knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recoil. I've always felt my old Rem 700 30-06 kicked harder than my LRML.
A coworker and I were discussing recoil not too long ago. Showed him Handloader recoil calculator. Hard to compare a HP vs ML (different powders) but with BH209, one can compare recoil quite easily.
Powder by weight for 500gr projectile came from Knight pro staffer, I estimated the charge (100w) to achieve 2400fps.
The discussion was basically does 1/2 the bullet weight at 2x the MV = same recoil? doesn't look like it.

Attachments

• 250 500 recoil.PNG
    108.6 KB · Views: 183
Load one uses over twice as much powder as load two, is why it has more recoil. The mass of the powder contributes to recoil the same way the mass of the bullet does. The powder mass doesn't have the same velocity as the bullet mass, but it does have velocity, and mass times velocity is what makes recoil. To calculate recoil one includes all the mass going out the end of the barrel. If both loads used the same amount of powder, their recoil would be the same, or very nearly so.

Latest posts

Back