New Lehigh LP Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Lehigh Dave has been trying to develop a higher BC bullet for muzzleloaders. There were some growing pains in the development. It took 3 different modifications of the tip design to get the product that he wanted.

The latest version is modification #3... It now has been tested by several different people and they have reported very good success with the bullet. The big thing was to get the same 'Terminal Performance' that the standard open hollow point provided. But the goal was to increase the BC of the bullet to offer longer range opportunities.

Lehigh Defense offers 3 different all copper ML hunting bullets.... a .451x230CF, .452x240CF, and a 452x265CF. All three of these bullets offer the opportunity to insert an Aluminum Pin in the nose of the hollow point. It is not the normal aluminum that we might think. It is a very hard aluminum, labeled 7075-T6.

These new ML bullets are not the first bullets Lehigh has produced using the Pins. The have been producing bullets for the .308 Blackouts for several years. Now he has used the same technology in these ML bullets.

This picture shows the bullets.

Lehigh_LP_s.jpg

The tips do increase the BC of the bullets. Listed below is the normal HP BC and the BC with the pins inserted:

Lehigh 451x230CF-HP .160
Lehigh 451x237CF-LP .250

Lehigh 452x240CF-HP .180
Lehigh 452x247CF-LP .260

I personally have not harvested an animal with any of the Pinned bullets but I have done several range trips shooting ranges out to 250 yards. I can confirm the bullets accurate!

The gentleman and his son have sent pictures of their Harvests... along with written descriptions of the harvest.

My Grandson Shot this Mouflon at 267 yds. With the prototype .451, 237 gr. bullet that you sent: created extreme internal damage lending itself to tremendous terminal performance. It also passed through but with the aid of the fragmentation, the animal was disabled immediately and expired immediately after.

Hawaiian__Mouflow.jpg

My Son Shot this Axis Buck at 363 yds. With the prototype .451 MZ bullet in his Smokeless Muzzleloader, with an average velocity in his rifle: 2963 fps. The spotter saw the deer bellied up immediately when it got shot: it too, passed through, but internal damage was massive.
Performed perfectly and to my utmost expectation.

Hawaiian_Axis_Buck.jpg

This Doe Axis Deer was Shot at 173 yds. With a .451 prototype bullet. As you can see small entry but major internal damage occurred. Once again, terminal entry was maximized.

Hawaiian_Axis_Doe.jpg

Grouse has confirmed several harvests with the 452x247CF-LP also. He was using a non-smokeless ML. I do not remember the ranges that he shot.

Me, stuck here in Idaho - I get a chance at one deer a year - and in some years 2 so I have to wait until next hunting season to get the opportunity. Although I might get to use it on a few ground squirrels this spring.

That sure is different. It looks like someone stuck a broadhead in a bullet. :D

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Kind of cool looking . It's amazing the Speer increased the BC that much .

The BC's were calculated by actually shooting the bullets through to sychronized chrono. Dave use to do a computer calculated BC but it never seemed right. Then Grouse, with a little help from me, decided to see what the real BC might be when shot with a hunting load.

High BC's you ought check the BC on those Blackouts!

That is an interesting bullet for sure. He's catering to those of us who bowhunt too :lol: :lol:
Sounds like it worked great. I guess time will tell on it once more people start using them :yeah:

Do they come with the tip already in them? Seems like it might be hard to load without damaging the tip. Regular SpinJag work?
I talked to them recently and apparently they have an option now for long point bullets (Parker, etc). I'm sure that version would work.

WV Hunter said:
That is an interesting bullet for sure. He's catering to those of us who bowhunt too :lol: :lol:
Sounds like it worked great. I guess time will tell on it once more people start using them :yeah:

Your time thought is a key... As more people try the system and the more reports that come the better. Actually there are a couple of things I want to do to verify what the low velocity might be. In my mind the accuracy has been confirmed with my first trip to the farm shooting the bullets from a Wolverine and a LK later in the week.

Do they come with the tip already in them?

Yes they will come with the tips pressed in the bullet. I actually do know if you might have the option to buy them in a non-tipped version and a tipped version. Guess I will need to ask about that but not sure why you might want the in-tipped if the tips work as well as is being shown.

Seems like it might be hard to load without damaging the tip. Regular SpinJag work?

I have several different loading jags, TC Super Jag, Spin Jag, and a Lehigh Loading jag - they all work well and do not even touch the tip... They all or any spire point loading jag should work

Lehigh-_Jag_Fit.jpg

I talked to them recently and apparently they have an option now for long point bullets (Parker, etc). I'm sure that version would work.

You are correct - it does work well.

Remember the tip is not a delicate thing - It is made from a very hard aluminum and does not bruise...

Hey Savoy...curious if the bullet was tried wih a "shielded tip"....same basic stem design but a shield that would leave all the hollow point open behind it....virtually a tipped hollow point....with a very thin shield or tip...seems that would make bcs even higher....

Not sure of the purpose of this post in this section? Seems BC with respects to LR and SML already have their own place.
But, the unique look does make me wonder what the wooden plug might have looked like or purpose in my original rifle's case from 1866?

Attachments

• AH 451D load.JPG
    AH 451D load.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 272
LOL Lewis.....you'd need a burning permit just to go punch some targets.

Idaholewis said:
Now them are some SERIOUS high tech looking bullets!! :yeah:

Guy needs a gun like this for a bullet like that!
mBdnpUi.jpg

WOW :shock:
Don't have to worry about measuring groups...dang target will be burned up before you can get down there. :lol: :lol:

rwbaker said:
Thats one ugly bullet . :)

If'n you are talking about the new Lehigh's - my thinking was right along those lines also! They look like they belong in the 'Space Age' - then I shot them!!! They are really accurate... in fact my first shoot with them was from an old Knight LK that a forum member sent me for some bore work. It had open sight - a Williams FP and a fiber optic front sight. I took it to the farm to do some test shooting - needed to heat the bore to cure the ceramic Bore-Tek treatment. At the end of the curing process I was looking for something long range to shoot just for the heck of it. I found a chunk of old wood about 240 yards out in the winter wheat field. I think it was about the size of a presto log. Took 3 shoots at it - first shot I over estimated the hold over and hit just above the chunk of debris. The next two shots flipped it over and spun it around... They shoot good!

Thankfully the animals can not see them coming!!!

Back