New Member & new to Modern Muzzleloading rifles Help needed.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI
I been cleaning this barrel since Tuesday
so far I got 9hrs of work , trying to remove this lead and I been using the following
Sharp shooter lead out & sharp shooter foam combined
N.-9 hoppes
KG2 bore polish
lucas spray lube/ bore cleaner
pro shot 1 step gun cleaner / clp
Kroil over night

Very little success removing lead from this barrel.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

FYI
I been cleaning this barrel since Tuesday
so far I got 9hrs of work , trying to remove this lead and I been using the following
Sharp shooter lead out & sharp shooter foam combined
N.-9 hoppes
KG2 bore polish
lucas spray lube/ bore cleaner
pro shot 1 step gun cleaner / clp
Kroil over night

Very little success removing lead from this barrel.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
I'm sorry that you are experiencing that with your gun. I can tell ya this, that before I spent 9+hrs having to try to de lead foul the barrel on my brand new 700.00 gun, I would be sending that thing back with a full refund request & my recommendation where they can stick the whole thing when they open the box.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing that with your gun. I can tell ya this, that before I spent 9+hrs having to try to de lead foul the barrel on my brand new 700.00 gun, I would be sending that thing back with a full refund request & my recommendation where they can stick the whole thing when they open the box.
What Niner said...

Send it back now. Once you fire the rifle, it will become your problem. You should never have problems with a brand-new rifle.

The photographs of the inside of the barrel look like a monkey's butt to me.

If the company gives you any flak, tell them you are going to make a YouTube video showing the problems with this rifle. That is what I had to do to get a problem solved with my Spypoint game camera. They suddenly became very helpful with my problem. It is sad to see the kind of customer service many companies have today.

I've had some good luck with Big 45 Frontier and continued use of Kroil
https://www.amazon.com/Big-45-Frontier-Metal-Cleaner/dp/B07RM692X8For really stubborn jobs, I'll run an electroloysis set-up.
Thank you for the info regarding Big 45 frontier.

I send an email to CVA & I included Muzzleloaders.com regarding this barrel issue.
MZ customer service is the best
they offered to send me some cleaning supplies and accessories for me to try
before sending this rifle back for exchange.

CVA in the other hand has not responded to my email yet..

Hi everyone

hope everyone is doing great,
its been a while since I posted any new updates regarding my issue with my LRX

Just wanted to share the latest on my accura LRX

Yesterday I finally had a chance to go and test my rifle after cleaning with Big 45 frontier & polishing the bore with Flitz polish gun care kit.
Barrel came out more shinny and the begging on the barrel near the breech plug look the same after cleaning & polish.
I started to think that this is not lead in the bore, ( what do you guys think? )
1691360250413.jpeg

Anyways
I tested several rounds from
Hornady 325gr FTX .458 bullet, resized to .454 ,
Lead Cast 350gr & 400gr .450 dia , Paper patched bullet sized to .454 & lubed w/ rooster Jacket
Lee Precision .459-500-3R cast bullet, lubed & resized to .454
I Also trimmed this bullet down to 400gr , using a Harbor freight bench trimmer
and I was getting somewhat accuracy, but I also never let the barrel cool down.
I'm going to give this bullet Mod one more try , before scrapping this project.

I was somewhat impressed with the accuracy I got from the Hornady 325gr FTX resized to .454 bullet, using Swiss Powder , 100gr by volume & Fiber lubed Wad.
Fired only thee shots since I didn't know what to expect of this test & didn't wanted to resize all my bullets if they were not going to work. There is a chance I can make this work with the Swiss powder & maybe also using 777.

My plan is took keep this rifle and keep testing different rounds
and keep you guys posted.

1691360689080.jpeg
1691360735676.jpeg
1691360758052.jpeg

Last edited:
That's not bad for the first three shots. lead is always a choice you can make but personally I think those rifles do better with jacketed, full bore bullets or sabots. Myself I'd use a more aggressive powder too, like T7 granular and I'd try both 2f and 3 f starting at 100 volumetric grain and work up.

Hi Everyone
Good morning
My question to you guys are:

* Can you shoot .454 cast bullets from 200 gr to 500 gr weight bullets?

* Gas check bullets on muzzleloaders OK to use or Not?

*Does any know a good muzzleloader load data book?

Thank you for your time in advance and hope to hear from you guys soon.
My answers are different than just about everyone else's.
1 Yes you can being that the .454 uses a .452" diameter bullet, but you will have to cast separate either pure lead or 40:1 alloy, no harder. Also you may have to size them down to .451" or even .450" (this depends on your particular bore)
2. Yes and no: without being the correct size a bullet with a gas check will be very hard if not impossible to load. It can be done however if sized properly.
There are guys in here that shoot jacketed bullets out of their muzzleloaders. If you search around you will find more info on that.
(NOTE:you never want to fire off a charge unless the bullet is firmly seated on top of the charge)
3. Both Thompson Center and Lyman has some black powder load data and if you search on Google you'll find data for BH209 as well.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone
Good morning

I'm a New member to this site and in too modern Inline muzzleloader rifles.
I just recently purchased a CVA accura LR-X in .45 cal for long range shooting.

I cast my own .45 bullets for my 45 colt & 454 casull
and was I hoping if you guys could guide me to the right path so I don't
blow up my new rifle or even hurt my self.

My question to you guys are:

* Can you shoot .454 cast bullets from 200 gr to 500 gr weight bullets?

* Gas check bullets on muzzleloaders OK to use or Not?

*Does any know a good muzzleloader load data book?

Thank you for your time in advance and hope to hear from you guys soon.
Welcome and enjoy the wisdom that is available on this forum.

New Update

I have some upsetting news
On Tuesday I received my new cva accura lr-x . 45 cal rifle
and you wont believe what I found out.
1.- rifle was missing scope mount.
2.- I was getting ready to clean the barrel when I decided to put my budget amazon Bore cam and
I was really upset when I noticed alot of Lead in side the bore , from the Breech plug to the end of the muzzle.

I contacted muzzleloaders.com and they are going to send me a new scope mount priority mail.
I called CVA and ask them if they tested the rifles before leaving the factory
Re:" Yes we do fire test them, and shoot lead rounds thru the barrel"
but why I found so much lead inside?
why not shoot copper jacket rounds like every gun manufacture does?

I also submitted a complaint with CVA/BPI guns and letting them know of my problem. currently im still waiting to hear back from them. At this moment I'm between sending this rifle back and getting a new one
or
Just getting my money back..

What do you guys think about this?
If I had a new gun with lots of lead fouling I wouldn't even bother to shoot it. I'd send it back immediately asking for either a refund or replacement.

Back