New ML Needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnt3d

Reaction score
i have this post on the smokelss board but no one has given any suggestions. i though id post here also and maybe have better luck. ive had a knight, it shot well but i didnt like the expense of the disc's. then i bought a white, i liked it because you could shoot 50-60 shots without swabbing the barrel. the only problem i had was it shot too low at 50yds and wasnt a flat shooter. i didnt have the time to change the front sight or to scope the white. now im in the market for a new ml. im looking at the savage ml 2, omega, the new triumph, or the new knight kp-1. ill mostly be using the ml for target practice and whitetail deer hunting. id also like to compete in the Iowa games this year so the ml but be really accurate and shoot flat. at the games you have to shoot at 25, 50, and 100yds- 5 shots at each range. i cant afford the nula or the other high priced ml's. any suggestions? is the savage a high maintenance ml? any suggestions???? thanks....Tim

After reading your post I truely believe there isn't a ML out there you would be happy with.
No such thing as a flat shooting ML.
To shoot the yardages you want 25,50 and 100 you need to sight the rifle in at some yardage, I would choose 50 yds. then know where it hits at 25 and 100 with that load.
Is not even any center fire rifles I know of where you can sight it in at 100yds and hit the bull at 25 and 50 yards.
ya have to figure the tirjectory.
:D Al

I think the Savage 10ML is more accurate with many more bullets/powder combos than any of the others you have listed. It will certainly fit the bill and is capable of MOA or better with maybe a dozen combos.

I would buy a savage over all of them then call RB for a new breech plug.

tell you what...

I'll trade you for your savage ML (smokeless right) for my omega. I have it sighted in for 100 yards about 1 1/2" high. Wanna trade.....JK!

Paul

edit: Maybe I should have read the first post better...instead of savage lets substitute white mzlr.

I still trade...maybe :roll:

I'll tell you that EVERY muzzleloader has its highs and lows. I guess the Knight Disc rifles, Disc Elite in particular, is my favorite conventional muzzleloader. I have never seen a muzzleloader shoot any better even though the Disc(only eight cents though) are an extra expense and sometimes a PITA. But they seem to always shoot where they are supposed to and that's really the name of the game, RIGHT?

I have to admit...even though it too has its quirks...a Savage 10ML-II(or a ULA) is really so much easier that my other muzzleloaders don't get much use anymore. At the range powder residue doesn't get all over everything, no spitpatching, no Discs, no priming tools, no smoke to irritate those next to you, no smoke obstructing your target or your game, no corrosion, no immediate clean up, or no smell. They are plenty accurate too!

Why don't you give a 10ML-II a try?

I agree with the rest.

I ain't no Alvin York, but I agree with the majority. Find a firearm that you like and shoot, shoot, shoot. Learn the weapon.

I'm a Hunter's Education instructor, and I preach this everytime I teach a class.

big6x6 said:
I have to admit...even though it too has its quirks...a Savage 10ML-II(or a ULA) is really so much easier that my other muzzleloaders don't get much use anymore.

I hear that LOUD AND CLEAR! My omega never even made it out of the gun safe one time this year. Honestly it probably won't come out until I take it out west elking again. That could be a few years.

Savage is good, I would reccommend trying it. We all have our favorites though.

in iowa, you cant use smokeless powder. in the savage id be using 3T. even at the iowa games you cant use smokeless. im leaning towards more to the omega or the new triumph or knight kp-1. Tim

Burndt
Don't get a Savage if you cannot shoot smokeless. Savages are great with smokeless but not very good with smoke too many places for crap to build up. Any of the others will be fine with sabots. I have an Omega and it shoots fine with powerbelts (not conicals tho) and sabots of course.
Redclub

Burndt
Don't get a Savage if you cannot shoot smokeless. Savages are great with smokeless but not very good with smoke too many places for crap to build up. Any of the others will be fine with sabots. I have an Omega and it shoots fine with powerbelts (not conicals tho) and sabots of course.
Redclub

Latest posts

Back