NEW PA MEMBER

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are asking how to measure powder, you need a volume powder measure. BP and subs are measured by volume not weight.
Though you can measure by weight after you find a good volume that shoots good in your rifle. At least that is my understanding.
ok, tyvm. that was the confusing part. muzzleloaders.com tech explained measuring in a brass tube is by volume and using a scale is weight.

From many years of Muzzleloader hunting and target. My workup load is with the trial of bullets for the application and the powder loads for each. First off with every gun you will find their is no certain load that fits all... After choosing a bullet the next part of the test is the type of powder to use and the size charge by volume. After the volume is established, next the powder is weighed from that volume charge that worked best. From that point I measure 2 tenths of a grain over and under for more exact precision. I've been teaching this method over 20 years and it has made a number of happy shooters much happier! Try this as you will need a powder scale but do not confuse the process of weight vs. volumne as that can be dangerous. BTW I use Goex BP in FFg and FFFg, Triple 7 in FFg, and Blackhorn 209. I don't like Blackhorn with side loaders due to it's nature of hard to ignite. My most accurate loads to date have been Blackhorn using Federal 209-A primers with the inline. CCI #11 caps with Goex and Tripple 7 side lock rifles and pistols. Good luck and safe shooting!

Latest posts

Back