New(to me) BL-22 Grade II Browning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this listed locally & couldn't resist. I was thinking of all the guns I have I don't see a lever action in the mix. How am I going to teach the boys proper handling of a lever action? After all it has no safety.

Anyway, problem solved. It's in great condition,no blueing wear,no nicks in the glossy stock, etc.. I bought it local FTF for $450.

Just to be clear, that was a joke about 'no safety'. It was reference to several comments I've heard from shooters who state that a certain gun has no safety & should have. That was in cases where the type of action itself is the safety, along with the matter between the ears.

We have shot it about 100 times in the yard, much fun.

A buddy of mine has one of them, but his is not a grade II. As I remember, the grade II has scrolling on the receiver, and his does not. It is a heck of a shooter though. I shot it many years ago, and it was a lot of fun. Accurate too, but it seemed so small in my hands.

In fact we had a joke going because he purchased the Browning lever action and I purchased a Remington Fieldmaster .22 pump rifle. And we used to load up and then let fly at pop cans and see who could stay on target the best. We sure used to kill a lot of cotton tails in the Mazomanie marsh along the Wisconsin and Cherokee Marsh near Madison with them .22 caliber rifles.

I used to have a sweet little beagle female hound. And when that dog got on a rabbit track, the chase was on. That used to be a great way to spend an afternoon in the snow.

We used to have a single beagle growing up in the U.P.. It was not the fastest in deep snow & I think being slow can be good. The snowshoe hare was in no great hurry when you saw him loping ahead.

We had to chase our dog down also after the hunt. Many hounds seem to like that in my experience. Ours couldn't run fast anyway & would be in the thicker cover.

My little beagle was a short legged one too, but when she cut loose with song.. I think she scared all them rabbits out of the brush piles. She actually was a good hunter even though we hunted her alone. I can still remember her racing as fast as she could through the snow after them cottontail rabbits.

My buddy down the road had three beagles, but his dad would not let us hunt them. We always wanted to run them as a pack. But he said his hounds did not come back when he called. Mine did.

I've got the same rifle and have had it for 17+ years. I love this little gun and it's extremely accurate.

It will treat you well!

Back