New to me Tingle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Johnson

Reaction score
It arrived today. Tingle half-stock target rifle. Before it is shot it will be refinished as it looks like about a third of the stock is downto bare wood. Barrel and lock may or may not be reblued. This makes <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> for me. I have a real soft spot in my heart for them. Even if they are a cap gun instead of a flintlock.
https://postimg.org/gallery/wjy13ja4/

Quite a find you have there! Looks in great condition too. I was doing a little nosing around about Tingle Mfg. Co.  If I read right, Bob Tingle from Shellbyville, Ind. made rifles and pistols back in the 60's.

Probably even before that.
An early mentor for me was one of dad's brother in law's brother. The last time Mack shot at Friendship was 1958. He was living in Maryville, TN when he passed away, and uncle Porter drove down there and brought a few things back. One of them was a Tingle revolver. I never even knew there was such a thing existed, but as soon as I saw it I guessed it was a Tingle product. There was just a certain look about it. I have since found out that something like 25 were made so it is a rare piece. Since Mack hadn't been to Friendship since '58, the revolver was probably at least that old. 
He also had a Hacker Martin pistol.

Looks like a clean machine! That should be a lot of fun to shoot. I don't think Ive ever seen the rifles before, normally the pistols that look modern from Tingle.

FrontierGander said:
Looks like a clean machine! That should be a lot of fun to shoot. I don't think Ive ever seen the rifles before, normally the pistols that look modern from Tingle.
Real Tingle pistols are hard to find and command a premium most of the time if you do find one. The knockoffs probably shoot as well but don't have any interest for me. 
He also made side slapper single barrel and over/under shotguns. Shelbyville is less than forty miles away which probably has a lot to do with my seeing so many as a teenager back in the sixties.

Back