New to muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the brotherhood. Enjoy your new found home.

Welcome from S.Ohio! I've always used sidelocks and inlines but I have always wanted to get a flintlock! Lots of great guys who are willing to help out here!

Thanks for the welcome!!!

I just got a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter Flintlock 50 caliber, it has 1:24 twist. Pedersoli says it's made for shooting conicals. this was early Christmas present.
I'm having trouble loading the Hornady Great Plains conical 385 grain bullet, I got out the calipers and the bore of the rifle seems to have a diameter of 0.4945, and on the lands 0.487. the conical diameter at the smallest at the base is 0.496 and the biggest diameter at the top before it makes the point is 0.5115.
What do you guys think, get smaller conical bullets?
Has anyone had this same issue?
Has anyone shot round balls out of this rifle?

Thanks for the welcome!!!

I just got a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter Flintlock 50 caliber, it has 1:24 twist. Pedersoli says it's made for shooting conicals. this was early Christmas present.
I'm having trouble loading the Hornady Great Plains conical 385 grain bullet, I got out the calipers and the bore of the rifle seems to have a diameter of 0.4945, and on the lands 0.487. the conical diameter at the smallest at the base is 0.496 and the biggest diameter at the top before it makes the point is 0.5115.
What do you guys think, get smaller conical bullets?
Has anyone had this same issue?
Has anyone shot round balls out of this rifle?
You need to slug your barrel to find out what Dia. It is and either size bullets yourself. Or find a bullet size for your barrel. Look it up on YouTube it will start you on your journey of muzzleloaders. Enjoy your new hobbie. You ate on the right sight just ask questions and the people on here will chime in let them know what powder wad , bullet and you will get help good luck.

Latest posts

Back