New to SML - where to start with loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reloading for centerfire for about 40 years and have always had one ML in the mix, but never smokeless. For the last 20 years I've been using a NEF Sidekick with a 25acp plug from PRB, for which I just ordered a 209 breach plug (also from PRB).

Last week I ordered a 45 cal Brux barrel (along with all the other necessities) from Arrowhead for a Savage 10 that I already have. I also have Arrowhead XLDs and Parker BEs on the way (both in 275 and 300 grns). As a reloader I acquired a bit of powder over the years and have listed those within a reasonable burn rate below.

Listed in descending order of quantity on hand (ranging from 8 down to 2 lbs).
Benchmark
IMR-8208 XBR
IMR-4831 (maybe too slow?)
IMR-4198
H-4198
IMR-3031
Varget

Given the powders I have on hand, where should I start? Or is there a better powder for my rig that I should keep looking for?
Thanks...

Last edited:
Actually you have a great start of supplies on hand and your sml build materials. There is a TON of load info on here and on Doug’s.
RBinAr (RIP) had a bunch of info on Dougs brd. Lots of load traces as well can be found.
Do a search with particular request and you’ll easily find.

BuckDoeHunter nailed it. That’s exactly where I would start.

Arrowhead Gen2 LRMP Modules - fortunately, I already have hundreds of CCI 250s

Since you got the barrel from Arrowhead, you might also ask Luke about load data.

Be careful since some of the load data from other sources will be for barrels of a larger diameter.

The Brux barrels have worked very well for me with the 275 grain Parker BE bullet.
I recently tested the No Size bullets from Luke and they worked perfectly in the Brux barrel.

Since you got the barrel from Arrowhead, you might also ask Luke about load data.

Be careful since some of the load data from other sources will be for barrels of a larger diameter.

The Brux barrels have worked very well for me with the 275 grain Parker BE bullet.
I recently tested the No Size bullets from Luke and they worked perfectly in the Brux barrel.

Thanks for the advice. My order arrives tomorrow...

I think i need to ask....Large shank or small. Large shank is 1.12" and small is like 1.055. So "safe" load data is not quite the same. If thats a 27" barrel or less it might effect the useful max of a few you listed too.

Large shank is larger than Remage IIRC but its smaller than a regular Rem700. I know .08-.13" dont sound like its much smaller than a beefy Rem700 contour but....................DONT USE LOADS GUYS ARE LISTING FOR 1.2"+ by 5"+ REM700 BUILDS.

Powders like 3031 will get you more speed at less or similar pressure as 4198 but you need a lot more of it. The powder column gets longer and that 5" of shank becomes less useful. The bullet is starting to move past the meaty part of the shank very quickly and peak may still be rising. IMO 3031 might be worth looking into if you want more speed than 4198.

Im pretty certain that 60gr of either 4198 and a 275gr is safe in all of them.

I think i need to ask....Large shank or small. Large shank is 1.12" and small is like 1.055. So "safe" load data is not quite the same. If thats a 27" barrel or less it might effect the useful max of a few you listed too.

Large shank is larger than Remage IIRC but its smaller than a regular Rem700. I know .08-.13" dont sound like its much smaller than a beefy Rem700 contour but....................DONT USE LOADS GUYS ARE LISTING FOR 1.2"+ by 5"+ REM700 BUILDS.

Powders like 3031 will get you more speed at less or similar pressure as 4198 but you need a lot more of it. The powder column gets longer and that 5" of shank becomes less useful. The bullet is starting to move past the meaty part of the shank very quickly and peak may still be rising. IMO 3031 might be worth looking into if you want more speed than 4198.

Im pretty certain that 60gr of either 4198 and a 275gr is safe in all of them.

Small shank... Thanks, I didn't know that shank size made a difference.

IMO the max for a small shank is gunna be about 65gr 4198 with upto a 275gr bullet. That is beginning to push my comfort zone too. Drop back to a 250gr and you are safe with the same load. No more than 60gr with a 300gr bullet. This is where your 3031/Benchmark/Varget might be useful...shooting a 300gr bullet but ask Luke what he thinks.

IMO the max for a small shank is gunna be about 65gr 4198 with upto a 275gr bullet. That is beginning to push my comfort zone too. Drop back to a 250gr and you are safe with the same load. No more than 60gr with a 300gr bullet. This is where your 3031/Benchmark/Varget might be useful...shooting a 300gr bullet but ask Luke what he thinks.

All great information, and more than I expected... thanks so much.

Pretty sure the max recommended by a couple builders for Remage prefits is 65gr 4198 and a 275gr using LRMP. Small shank Savage is pretty close to that. LRMP creates a little more speed/pressure than a 209 system. The vast majority of traces i can quote are for 209s. I think 65gr/275gr will put you in the 40kpsi-42kpsi range and that should be fine in that barrel. Might be a little more if you get a really tight bullet loaded.

Below is my Savage Varmint-weight with the 45 Brux barrel (which fit the stock perfectly). 8lbs-15oz without the scope. Not as fancy as some of the SMLs I've seen pics of, but good looks don't count for much once you're in the woods. The scope is a Bushnell that I had laying around and is temporary. pictured are my first groups at 100 yds. The larger group (below) was shot with 300 Gr Hornady TSX (I think) just to get me on paper. The better group is my first group at 100 yds with 60 gr H4891 and 275BE (definitely sub-moa). I'm really looking forward to getting a better scope on it and learning what this rifle will really do. So far, I'm very happy with the results. I've had to work for years to accomplish the same size groups with some of my center-fire rifles.

Savage conversion.jpgFirst Groups.JPG

Last edited:
Back