Arrowhead Brux prefit 45 cal for Encore.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

163bc

Reaction score
Near 40 years as a reloader but a total newbie to the smokeless muzzleloader game. Just ordered a Brux prefit for my Encore from Luke at Arrowhead Rifles. I am primarily a hunter and focus will be on deer with the muzzleloader for now. I'd like to be able to shoot accurately to 300 with this new rig. I'm wondering if there are load suggestions that some may have particularly with these Brux 45 cal barrels. I do have 20 of the bullets coming that Luke at Arrowhead recommended. Lots of powder on hand but nothing in 4198. Other powder options?? Thanks in advance

Im pretty sure Luke has all kinds of data for your barrel and bullet combo with many dif powders. Ive been seeing plenty of imr4198 and 4227 on LGS shelves lately. Ive been chasing some n110 & n120 without luck.

With Luke's Encore barrel, his recommended load with the 275 or 300 grain bullets is 60 grains max of Hodgdon H4198. That will get you approx. 2575fps with the 275 bullet and 2500fps with the 300 bullets. As mentioned above, IMR 4198 is showing up in most shops. The IMR 4198 can be used + or - a grain or 2 as a direct replacement for the H4198. Hope this helps............

No 4198 around here. Just switched to N120 in my bolt gun and love it. Faster and cleaner than 4198 . Haven't tried it in my Scout yet but I'm sure it will be fine.

Doesn’t N120 have higher pressure verses the same load of H4198?

Purchased the same barrel from Luke last year to use on a late AZ ml elk hunt. Using 105 grs of Blackhorn 209 by weight, CCI 150 and the 300 grn ASG NSR bullet it averages 2,500 on a Labradar. It shoots three shot groups just over two inches at 300 yards off a bench. I’ve thought oh trying 4198 but looking at UT ml elk next year and they also require black powder or a substitute. Shot a small AZ bull last day of the season at 310. One and done. Load did a great job.

Yes. You purchase the size based on bore diameter. As RP said you don’t have to use the sizing die. My Brux uses the large.

Got the barrel yesterday and everything bolted up with ease. Mounted scope and shot the 275 bullets over 60 grains IMR 4198. 1 shot at 25 yard to get on paper. Next 2 at 100 were 1/4 in apart. Made scope adjustment and next 3 were under an inch dead on at 100 yds. Easiest muzzleloader I've ever sighted in. Now to get some trigger time and find out what she'll do out to 300.

Last edited:
Near 40 years as a reloader but a total newbie to the smokeless muzzleloader game. Just ordered a Brux prefit for my Encore from Luke at Arrowhead Rifles. I am primarily a hunter and focus will be on deer with the muzzleloader for now. I'd like to be able to shoot accurately to 300 with this new rig. I'm wondering if there are load suggestions that some may have particularly with these Brux 45 cal barrels. I do have 20 of the bullets coming that Luke at Arrowhead recommended. Lots of powder on hand but nothing in 4198. Other powder options?? Thanks in advance
Welcome to the dark side. We here strive to provide as much like-minded brotherhood and are always happy to welcome somebody new. Do you like ice cream?

163bc, That's awesome! It sure is nice when everything goes as hoped and expected. You are really going to enjoy your new toy! Happy Hunting!

Got the barrel yesterday and everything bolted up with ease. Mounted scope and shot the 275 bullets over 60 grains IMR 4198. 1 shot at 25 yard to get on paper. Next 2 at 100 were 1/4 in apart. Made scope adjustment and nest 3 were under an inch dead on at 100 yds. Easiest muzzleloader I've ever sighted in. Now to get some trigger time and find out what she'll do out to 300.
Excellent, my new smokeless should be done any day now (I hope my sighting in goes as smoothly as yours did). What scope did you mount?

Excellent, my new smokeless should be done any day now (I hope my sighting in goes as smoothly as yours did). What scope did you mount?
Harley I had a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x50mm with rings that worked laying on my bench. It was the easiest to grab and start shooting. It shot great and I'm debating leaving it or putting a turret twister on the gun. I'll shoot it for a while and get used to the ballistics and trajectory and see what I'm comfortable with. I'd like to be proficient with it out to 300. Primary use will be hunting bean fields during Va muzzleloader season.

Latest posts

Back