New to the forum and traditional mzloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman1

Reaction score
Howdy all! Looks like a great forum and I'm glad to be here. Looking around on the forum and reading lots.

I have a quick question. I have a Hopkins and Allen Underhammer Buggy Rifle in .45 caliber. Shoots good with 50grn of Pyrodex RS and patched round ball.

What yardage would I be able to ethically take a deer? I'm thinking 50 yards or less?

Obviously I'm new to the traditional muzzleloading sport and just trying to learn.

Thanks
Craig

IMO 50 grs is a mild load even for the ball. But if it shoots accurately it is capable of killing a deer at 50 yards. But if you boost that charge up to 70 grains or so you can increase your yardage at least 50% provided you get the accuracy necessary to hit your target every time.
Just be for warned, although the round ball is an effective deer killer, a lot of the time the blood trail isn't very good if present at all.

Welcome to the forum.

A .45 PRB will kill a deer ok, but i'd up the powder load some. Have you tried 60-70gr? 50yds makes it easier. Put it through the lungs to be safe. No shoulder shots.

Welcome to this board.
Pyrodex RS is weak powder. Try 50gr Goex FFF for more energy.
What patch and what patch lube are you using? Consider snug pillow-ticking when wanting to increase ball speed and maintain accuracy. Improving your patch lube helps too.

Don't have access to Goex. Have lots of Pyrodex in RS and P as well as select. Also 777, and shockey's gold.

I'll up my load to 70grns and see how she shoots. Need to get some range time in before season starts here in MO. on Dec. 24! :D

I own a sporting goods store and stock muzzleloading equipment, mostly for modern guns. I have some Black Widow Bullets which is basically a maxi ball with a polmer insert. Would those be better than prb?

Also, would I be better to switch to the Pyrodex P and if so what would be the maximum charge I could use?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. As for your question of distance for an ethical kill, that depends on your shooting ability. Shot placement is key to taking game. I never hunted with a .45 in a round ball. Lots of people do hunt with a .45 caliber. I do think your idea of trying to up the charge is a good idea.

Welcome to the forum, I totally agree with the advice given thus far. Have fun finding your load.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I didn't catch that you were using Pyro RS. I'd also switch to Pyro P and up the charge to 70. My .45 is a Green Mtn barrel with a 1:30" twist rate. It is not a good ball shooter but shoots Saboted XTPs very well with 80 gr of Pyro P. I don't know what your rifle's twist rate is so I'm not sure how it will shoot a conical bullet.

bronko due you know the difference in burn rate from pyro rs to pyro p. Just got a green mountain L r h 45 cal 1/30 barrel looking for pyro p load data. Thanks

Haksaw76 said:
bronko due you know the difference in burn rate from pyro rs to pyro p. Just got a green mountain L r h 45 cal 1/30 barrel looking for pyro p load data. Thanks

No I'm sorry I don't. But I would imagine the ratio of RS to P is about the same as FFg is to FFFg.
With my GM barrel I got good results at 50 yards with 70 gr but when I pushed it out to 100 yards, an 80 gr charge showed as good or better accuracy with a flatter trajectory.

Latest posts

Back