Newb CVA Optima Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris in Idaho

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought a CVA Optima V2 NW in hopes of connecting on a cow elk this December. A friend of mine has one, and after I bought mine my dad went and bought one as well. So we have a sample size of three to compare.

The other two have very good triggers, light and crisp with no creep. Mine, however, has such a hair trigger that I think a stiff breeze would set it off. It's a night and day difference from the other two Optimas. I honestly think if I wore my fleece camo gloves, the gun would go off before my finger could feel the trigger. I took it by a gun shop and asked them to put a trigger pull scale on it, and according to their gauge (mechanical sliding style) it broke at 1/2 pound.

I'm wondering if it's just a case of tolerance stacking, or if there could be a machining chip preventing full sear engagement? I would like to get in there and clean the trigger mechanism but I'm not sure if there's a good way to access it?

For the short term I'll just never cock the hammer until my sights are on target, but eventually I would like to have a more positive feeling and confidence inspiring trigger.

I'm also going to have questions about loads and non-plastic sights, but I'll save those for another time.

Thanks!IMG_5178.jpg

Knowing is good , probably not great for hunting but removing gloves and practice /lots of trigger time and you will come to like it and keep it as is !/Ed

Just from a brief internet search it appears that it can't be adjusted unless sent back to CVA. Hard to believe it left the factory at 1/2lb.

That's definitely too light. I had a rifle with set triggers. When I got it new, the trigger broke at about a half pound or so. I was able to adjust it for a heavier pull.
I do like the trigger on my CVA Optima pistol, I think it's about a 3 pound pull.

Agree with Ed and Jbrown69. Once you get familiar with it you will not part with it. A light, smooth trigger plays a large part in accuracy,

Back