Newbie: muzzle loading terminlology

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GippyGimper

Reaction score
Hi Comrades: I am a new member of this forum and look forward to some neighborly chitchat. Here is an inquiry I have:

When the powder (or pills) are loaded in the barrel, and the bullet is placed, I think of the gun as being “charged”. Only when it is primed would I say it is “loaded”. This brings me to the local laws regarding the presence of a charged gun in a vehicle, say, and the authorities saying my gun is loaded although in the strictest sense it is not.
Here in Canada we always kinda follow behind the US in the firearms world so I was wondering what is happening there in this regard, recognizing that each state will have its own regulations, what is the trend?
Fact is, I don’t know what the regs are here since I dare not ask, it would open the proverbial “can of worms”, if you know what I mean.
As a 70 year old “newbie” I am looking forward to chatting with you all.

Personally once my rifles have powder and a bullet seated I consider them loaded. Where I live and hunt they are perfectly legal to transport this way. Once the rifle is "primed" it can no longer be in a vehichle until the primer or cap is removed again.

Welcome!

Iowa:
"Muzzleloaders must be cased but will be considered unloaded if the cap is removed from the nipple or the priming charge is removed from the pan"

From Iowa reg book

Just like the above. Any 'game official'(officer) would know what's up with a muzzle-loader. Just about anywhere, once the primer or ignition is removed, then cased, it's ready for transport.

Back