Newbie with a question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atairsabuck

Reaction score
Hi guys. This is my first post on this forum. I have been reading the posts for a while and I can tell there is a world of knowledge here. A co-worker gave me a 50 cal sidelock percussion rifle. It is styled like a Hawken. The only info on the barrel as far as mfg. is an I enclosed in a box. I have checked the twist and best I could tell, it was one-half a rotation in 24 inches. I was going to try round balls and maxi hunters with loose triple 7 FFg. The barrel was in bad shape but I have gotten it pretty clean. Any idea who made this rifle? Any load suggestions will be appreciated. I hope to buy a new inline soon, but I believe the traditional would be a blast to shoot.

atairsabuck

I would like to welcome you to the forum :yeah:

It has been a long time that I have messed with a Sidelock but as far as what type of gun I'm not sure maybe ( CAYUGA ) could help he is a big Capper gun man I would try to maybe reposting this under the SIDELOCK forum.

IMO insted of 777 2fg I would probbably go with regular Pyrodex rs or Pyrodex P Starting out with 75 - 80gr . May be easyer to touch off or 3fg 777.

Triple7 could be a little harder to tuch off in a CAPPER

OTHER BULLETS TO TRY
Hornady Great Plains 385 or 410gr

Good Luck and Safe Shooting
LB1

Latest posts

Back