Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first muzzle loader. Any suggestions on what type of inline/breech load to buy.

new to muzzle loading!

Welcome aboard. There is so many good choices out there. I'd start by reading the stickys at the top of the new to muzzle loading section. Then try to decide if you want a bolt style or break open and go from there. I'm partial to a TC Omega for a beginner. Don't be shy with questions.

Welcome to the forum. And to the sport of muzzle-loading. The problem with your question is brand bashing. Many people like one brand and feel any other brand is just always second best. What I ask is, are there restrictions on the kind of muzzleloader you can use? Do you plan on hunting other States that might have restrictions? Some states demand open breech systems or they restrict the kind of bullet you can use. How fat is your wallet? Meaning what are you willing to spend to set yourself up. What kind of shots will you experience where you hunt? So rifles are more long range prone and it also might make a difference on the caliber of the rifle. What are you going to hunt? How many times a year are you going to hunt with the rifle.

Here is the way I look at it... Where I live 50 yards is a long shot. So just about any rifle will do the trick. If I were going to hunt a week a year with it.. I can't see dumping a large amount of money in the rifle and scope. So if I see a deal on say a CVA Optima with a scope.. and its in my price range, I am all set. I purchased a Optima for $209.00 brand new. Its a great shooter. Is it the same quality of say a Knight or White rifle? Many argue yes, others demand they are not of the same quality. Will it kill a deer out to 100 yards.. you bet it will.

I am leaning towards a bolt action type and my budget is around $600. Looking for a .50cal long range.
I am a MilSurp shooter mostly. I have a shoot I am attending in May with a 500yd outdoor range and I will be sighting one in as far as I can go. I have a hunt lease in west texas that is 400+ acres. So long rang is a must! My regular rifles to use is a Remington M700 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30.
I figure with my budget, I'll be able to afford a decent inline.

new to muzzle loading!

HAWKEYEPETRIC4 said:
I am leaning towards a bolt action type and my budget is around $600. Looking for a .50cal long range.
I am a MilSurp shooter mostly. I have a shoot I am attending in May with a 500yd outdoor range and I will be sighting one in as far as I can go. I have a hunt lease in west texas that is 400+ acres. So long rang is a must! My regular rifles to use is a Remington M700 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30.
I figure with my budget, I'll be able to afford a decent inline.

new to muzzle loading!
Most off the shelf Production muzzleloaders are not shot at that range, up to about 1/2 that (250yards). There are some custom built rifles that say they can do it, but are big $$. I am not saying you can't do it with a production rifle, but Keep in mind that most Muzzleloaders will not really carry the velocity of the centerfires at those ranges. Smokless muzzleloaders maybe, but they will run you more money.

If I were going to try that with a production a bolt action muzzleloader (smoker with sub powders), I would probably look at the Knight Long Range Hunter first then the Mountaneer, or Disc Extreame, and shoot BlackHorn209 powder.

http://www.knightrifles.com/long-range- ... w-gray-th/

That's a good start. I'll do some research. As I said, I am not familiar with muzzle loaders, but my friends at Shutzenfest are. They are going to show me how to load and such.
Thanks

new to muzzle loading!

Welcome!

I joined the board almost a month ago and you will never meet a more friendly or knowledgeable bunch of dedicated people. As they warned, and I now have discovered, muzzleloading can be additive. And it is.

While I had previously owned a ml for 5 years, I had no idea about a number of aspects of the sport and now my only regret is not getting involved sooner.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Thanks! I have been a centerfire shooter since I was 10, and now, I just want to be able to have a longer hunt season! ML shooters have all the fun! Lol

new to muzzle loading!

Back