Next project is gaining steam:)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh wow now that will be awesome! I am not much of an enfield trapdoor guy but a hawken?! Just straight up awesome.

:D 

Sounds interesting buddy.  I like dark stained stocks  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

Ray.............. ;)

FrontierGander said:
oh wow now that will be awesome!  I am not much of an enfield trapdoor guy but a hawken?! Just straight up awesome.
My apologies for this Frontier, it's a Springfield trapdoor, Enfield is a British firearms brand name. There has been some crossover leading to some confusion. The Pattern 14 Enfield (.303 British) used by the British and its territories and the 1917 Springfield (.30-06) used by the U.S. are basically the same rifle chambered for different cartridges. Check out these links to pics and you will see what I mean.

P14.... https://www.google.com/search?q=pattern+14+rifle&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS557US557&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3CHXUvqYDqb72QWwgoHoBw&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=641

17 springfield... https://www.google.com/search?q=1917+springfield&sa=X&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS557US557&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=PCLXUsaABYrN2QWH7ICACw&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=641

A little firearms education is never a bad thing. 8)

This is the gun I will be re stocking.
td3_zps7e8060df.jpg

That Trapdoor project will very interesting to follow , I love BPC guns as well .

I have a deep interest in all firearms and the history surrounding them no matter their country of origin or whom they were employed for or against.  That history combined with the designs of wood and steel are what give these tools their soul. Hand shaped wood is the most aesthetically appealing not just for their designs but for the creativity of the people who built them.  Even modern mass produced firearms originated in the fertile minds of individual inventors like Mauser, Browning, Colt and many more and without their inventions the designs of modern firearms might be vastly different than what we see today.  With that being said, when I see plastic and synthetic guns no matter the design I see soulless machines lacking the heart and beauty that can only be instilled in figured wood through the hands of craftsmen.

I agree on the Tupperware guns , not nice to look at and most definitely not cool to own .

I can't say I don't own one or never put one together.  Back in my "wildcat" days I put a Charles Daly Mark X in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock.  Here is a pic of my high power projects that I put together when I was on muzzleloader hiatus. 

L to R
1898 krag Jorgensen, .30-40 krag.  I had the action used a barrel from an 1903A3 and Boyds stock.
1903A3, 6.5-284 win. Shilen barrel, gunshow stock
1903A3, .35 Whelen, Shilen barrel, Richards microfit walnut stock
Mark X .30-.338 WM, Douglas Barrel, Bell & Carlson Stock.
M98/29 Persian Mauser (Czech) ..338-06, Shilen Barrel, Elk Ridge walnut stock
M38 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 boyds stock
Arisaka Type 38 .308 win, gun show stock (in progress) 

These are all utilitarian rifles meant for rugged field use.  Not a wall hanger in the bunch. 

DSCN1244.jpg

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

that still looks a lot better than just a regular enfield IMO. I enjoy the look of that stock they have. I wish they'd come up with an octogon barreled trap door.

Yeah, I bought it second hand from a friend who found a void in the wood.  He went through the process with elk ridge, got a new stock and sold me that one for $25.00.  It's ugly but works good enough for me.

If you want an octagon barrel trapdoor ya need to buy a barrel and install it on the action, or a gunsmith with a lathe and reamers can do it.  Green mountain sells .458 barrels if you want to stick with original caliber.

I got the stock the Friday, It's a relatively straight grain walnut but has some nice color.  First thing was to pull the barrel then strip all the old finish (duracoat) and then draw file the barrel to a size better to fit in the stock.  I am thinking it will get a pewter nose cap, under barrel rib for cleaning rod and a staple and wedge in the forestock.   All metal will be browned with laurel mountain forge degreaser and brown.  This is truly a labor of love.

td1a_zps4bb71b34.jpg

td1d_zpsd477102b.jpg

td1b_zpsb602ab94.jpg

td1c_zps93578ad3.jpg

Back