Help Designing a Renegade Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
In several conversations with Scott at Colerain Barrels, he has convinced me to move away from an extremely short 1" straight octagon .58 caliber barrel.

My original thoughts were to keep it at 21" long in order to keep the weight down.

Instead we are looking at an octagon-round profile with a much longer length in order to take advantage of what a gain twist has to offer, as well as keep the barrel as light as possible.

Instead of a straight octagon breech with a straight round forebarrel, such as the White Mountain Carbine has; I am looking to have a barrel something along the lines of.......

1.) 2" straight octagon breech, combined with the approximately 1" of the breech plug, which would give the barrel 3" of 1" diameter straight octagon to locate itself in the barrel channel of the Renegade's stock.

2.) A shallow taper to approximately 15/16" octagon out to a point 1" from the tip of the stock's forearm. This would necessitate a slightly taller barrel key underlug.

3.) Full-length Acraglas Gel bedded barrel channel. This will make up for the gaps that the taper will create.

At the same time bed the entirety of the tang, especially it's recoil face.

4.) A nice set of double wedding bands at the transition from octagon into round.

5.) A straight taper from the wedding bands out to the muzzle. Barrel wall thickness to be dependent upon whether 6-48 screws (T/C), copper rivets (Hawken Bros.), or solder (English) are used to secure the rib to the barrel.

My first question is what is the length of the barrel channel in a Renegade, as measured from the face of the installed breech plug, out to the tip of the forearm?

I'm sure there were variations, depending upon what year the stocks were made; as well as manufacturing variations as far as the quality of the walnut, tool sharpness, and how the wood was carved/machined.

For my purposes, + or - 1/4" should be sufficient for design purposes.

Second question is how far from the breech end of the barrel, (where the rear face of the barrel meets the face of the breech plug), is the forward edge of the barrel key underlug?

I have not yet purchased a rifle to use as the base for this project, otherwise I would already know the answers to my questions. I have been dithering around unable to make up my mind until recently.

Thanks to all that answer.
Bruce

Latest posts

Back