Night fishing.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been fishing quite a bit this summer at night with Hydroglow lights. I started out fishing for rainbows in a couple local lakes and we’ve caught 100 or so. I’ve kept some whole, filleted some and smoked a bunch. We fish in 35’ of water and usually the trout are in the bottom 5’. Most of the trout are 16 - 18”.
About a month ago I realized that I was also drawing in crappie at the same time so I started putting out one rod for trout and jigging with another for crappie. Most nights I’ll catch 12 or 15 crappie although last night it was 25.
I also pick up quite a few trout on the jigs as well as bluegills and bullheads.
It’s nice being out at night, generally it’s just me and a bunch of barred owls, usually only light or no wind.

Are you finding the crappie at the same depth as the trout?

Are you finding the crappie at the same depth as the trout?
Generally the crappie are 10 to 20 feet down and the trout are near the bottom. I’m fishing in 35 feet of water usually. I do catch some trout on my crappie jigs so at least some of them come up off the bottom.

Latest posts

Back