Nikon BDC help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nummy

Reaction score
Hello everyone -

I successfully sighted-in my new CVA Plains Rifle last week, and I was able to consistently hit the bulls-eye at 100 yards.

When I got home from the range, I realized that the magnification was only set on 4x or 5x power.....I'm not certain.

My question /concern is regarding Nikon's BDC information. I used Nikon's "Spot-On" website in an attempt to print a ballistic report for the four circles located below the cross hair.

From what I can determine, when sighting-in, the magnification is the determining factor in regard to the yardage for the circles below the cross hair. Am I screwed because I didn't have the scope set to 9x when sighting-in?

If a person can hit the bulls-eye consistently at 100 yards with the cross-hairs on the bulls-eye, does it matter if the magnification is set to 4x, 7x, or 9x? (this is kinda' hard to put into words)

Conversely, it appears that in regard to Nikon's Spot-On information, I might be screwed because I can't verify what the exact magnification was when I sighted-in my CVA. (please tell me I'm wrong) I really wanted to make use of those BDC circles for distances greater then 100 yards - the only thing I can be certain of is that at a magnification of 4x (or 5x) I'm dead-on at 100 yards.

Unfortunately, I have no time to head back to the shooting-range before gun season starts this weekend.

Any thoughts here?

nummy

Look up first, and Second Focal Plane Scopes. You have a Second Focal plane.

I could be wrong here, but i am 99% sure you are fine. I had a Zeiss Scope with their Rapid Z800 Reticle that worked the same way as your Nikon (off the Power setting) i could use any power i wanted to out to my 200 yard Zero, But in order for the Z800 Reticle to line up beyond my 200 yard Zero i had to Know the Precise Power setting (Which goes off of your Ballistics) In my Particular Rifle And Handload i needed to be on 10-3/4 Power, Which was a BUMMER! I had a 4.5-14 power Scope but couldn’t use Power beyond 10-3/4 when i needed it the most at longer distances.

Your good if you used the center crosshairs to sight in at 100yds (it doesn't have to be 100yds, but you stated 100 so I used that). If you look under 'Select Scope Maginification' in the upper right hand corner of the SpotOn app, you can change the scope mag. and you will notice that only the distances for the circles change, your crosshairs are still good for 100yds.

If I know my shot may be under 100yds, I may set my scope mag down to 3,4, or 5 power to get a larger field of view but If I think my shot is going to be 100yds plus, I'm at 9 power or more depending on what rifle I'm using.

Good luck on your hunt, don't forget to post a harvest report :yeah:

The magnification does not affect your initial sight-in as long as you were using the center of the reticle. That will remain the zero no matter what magnification you are set on on any decent scope and the Nikon is. The magnification comes in to play with the rest of the aiming points on the BDC reticle.

You have a Second Focal Plane scope. The easiest way to tell is to look at a target and zoom the scope. If the target changes size but the reticle does not within the scope, you have a Second Focal Plane. If both the reticle and the target zoom then you would have a First Focal Plane scope.

With your Second Focal Plane scope the distance that your aiming point is accurate to would change with the zoom. Most of them are calibrated so that at maximum magnification the aiming points are accurate for the given ranges in the scopes information.

Keep in mind that the BDC reticle is just a guide. You need to confirm the actual distances that each aiming point is accurate for.

I hope this helps.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Your good if you used the center crosshairs to sight in at 100yds (it doesn't have to be 100yds, but you stated 100 so I used that). If you look under 'Select Scope Maginification' in the upper right hand corner of the SpotOn app, you can change the scope mag. and you will notice that only the distances for the circles change, your crosshairs are still good for 100yds.

If I know my shot may be under 100yds, I may set my scope mag down to 3,4, or 5 power to get a larger field of view but If I think my shot is going to be 100yds plus, I'm at 9 power or more depending on what rifle I'm using.

Good luck on your hunt, don't forget to post a harvest report :yeah:

BuckDoeHunter .....our paths meet again !

I logged into the "Spot On" website again and followed your suggestion - you are correct.....I can put my mind at ease now.

A big thanks to everyone who chimed in here - I will be reporting back if I achieve any success.

BuckDoeHunter: Your recommendation for the .250 grain Barnes T-EZ bullet with the Harvester sabot worked perfectly on that Tradition Arms Buck Hunter rifle you helped me last season. (I'm using the same combination with my new CVA Plains Rifle) My son-in-law with be using that old Buck Hunter II rifle this season - I converted in to the 209 primer upgrade offered by Tradition Arms. It made things easier to just use the same ignition source, powder, projectile, and sabot !

Nummy

Back