Nikon BDC Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnt3d

Reaction score
has anyone ever bought one of these scopes yet? ive been told that theyre made for one specific sabot/bullet and only one type of charge, 150gr of powder. is this true? can you use whatever type of bullet and powder charge? i thought this scope and the omega would be a great combo for target practice and for hunting. Tim

Tim,they are set up for one bullet,charge,and velocity. A regular Mil Dot scope will do all of this,and more,reguardless of the bullet,velocity,ect.

The BDC-250 is basically for one load, a 250gr SST/Shockwave and 150gr of pellets, true. The plain BDC is NOT. The reticle can be used for basically any load(as ANY ballistic-point type reticle). It is set up for main reticle 100yd zero with standard cartridges(150-165gr 30-06) and with a 200yd zero with "magnum" cartridges(7mm. 300 etc mag). Circles to 500yds for standard and to 600yds for magnum...

burnt3d,

I have an Nikon Omega BC scope on a TC Pro-Hunter and love it. If you are not too familar with how the cross hairs work or their yardages, go to the Nikon website and watch the sales promo video for the scope. It is advertised for 150 grain charges and 250 grain bullets and that is what I have setup currently in my gun. From the experience I have in a second Encore that I've also killed with using the 300 Shockwave, I think I like that bullet weight a little better. 4 years ago I requested a trajectory table from Hornaday (their SST and TC's Shockwave are the same bullet with a little different sabot) and these 2 bullets (250 and 300's) are pretty similar in Trajectory out to 250 yards as this link shows.

http://blackpowderbullets.com/hornady%2 ... llets.html

My original document from Hornaday showed their 200, 250 and 300 grain bullets with 100 and 150 grains of pryodex ( 3 pellets), but the key with with this BDC scope is to site in dead on at 100 yards. So I guess in theory if a 250 and 300 grain are similar, I don't see why a variation the other way wouldn't work as well and I intend to try the heavier 300 grain bullet this Spring with my current scope setup. Granted 150 grains of powder is over kill, but I did blast some pumpkins at 250 yards last Fall using the BDC very similar to the way the promo video did with their metal targets. I use 3 - 777 pellets by the way.

If you intend to mainly hunt with the gun, this scope should work great on game. However the BDC probably isn't the best scope for long range target shooting for a group since the reticle is a small circle. Maybe you should do a search on this forum for the prior dicussions and comments made about this scope by other shooters who own them.

I hope this helped.

Curtis

Most of the guy's around here are using a Sightron S1 3X9X40 MD. It is a very inexpensive scope,but carry's a lifetime warrentee. Mid Way had some for sale for 101.00. I thought about getting one,and thought a little too long,they were sold out the next day. :cry: I use a S II 3X9X42,it is extreemly clear. Some guys are putting the S1's on 300Win Mags,and they are holding zero without a problem. I did manage to break my SII,and sent it in on a Thursday,the following Friday it was back,but it wasn't the old scope,it was a brand new one. They are a great company,and stand behind their products 100%. http://www.sightron.com/

have you guys ever tried this scope, HPML scope from Leatherwood Hi-Lux Optics? i found it on hpmuzzleloading.com it doesnt use circles, it uses flat lines and they said it seemed to work better than the omega scope. Tim

I have a friend that has one,and it does work as advertized,but it is a High Dollar Scope. The thing that makes the Mil Dot system so simple is,once you know your target size (deers chest,top to bottom 18") you just read the mil's and you know how far it is. You then use the Mil Dots for the correct hold over at that distance,you can also use the Mil Dots on the horzontal cross hair for wind drift adjustments. :D

RKS1949

How do you measure yardage with a mil dot scope? Are you saying that you can measure a certain distance (like 18 inches) between the dots and then know your yardage? I am interested in buying a new scope for my Omega and I have been thinking about the Nikon or the Leatherwood (by the way, Toby Bridges says in his article that it will retail for about $179.00 so I don't consider it high dollar). Let me know your thoughts on mil dots and such.

Re: RKS1949

Head Hunter said:
How do you measure yardage with a mil dot scope? Are you saying that you can measure a certain distance (like 18 inches) between the dots and then know your yardage? I am interested in buying a new scope for my Omega and I have been thinking about the Nikon or the Leatherwood (by the way, Toby Bridges says in his article that it will retail for about $179.00 so I don't consider it high dollar). Let me know your thoughts on mil dots and such.

Here is a how to guide.

http://www.eabco.com/Reports/MildotRep01.htm

You might want to think about a Burris Fullfield II ballistic plex reticle. You can find a 3x9x40 for around $200 and a 2x7x35 for about 175.00

Thanks, I understand now how the mil dot system can be used for range finding. Does anybody have any suggestions for a mil dot scope. Are most of them standardized to work at their highest power? Anybody have any suggestions for an Omega that will most likely be spitting out bullets at around 2000 fps

Latest posts

Back