QLA -- Land Riding Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday, this Omega with QLA intact was shot using land riding bullets. Shooting was done to see just how inaccurate it would be. Ha Ha, the joke was on me. The rifle shot great! This was quite shocking. First QLA ever for me that shot a land riding bullet. Went out again this morning to see if it would repeat.

G_0303.jpg

Wow, that was fun! Three shots on target.

The target is set out 78 yard, because the scope was only one power.

A vegetable fiber Walters wad is between powder, and bullet.

Bullet is 50 caliber 275g Star Tip MZ, size to easily go down barrel to the powder.

G_0305.jpg

The powder charge is 105g 777ff.

Primer is CCI 209.

First shot is from a cold fouled rifle/ breech plug.

Rifle was swabbed between shots.

Am still shocked, and amazed by this experience of the land riding bullet flying accurately through the QLA; first time it ever happened to this shooter.

With the land riders is there a possibility of the bullet unseating itself from the powder charge?
I’m wondering the same thing. I just bought a new unfired Tc Firehawk without the QLA. I want to shoot full bore bullets, but don’t want to deal with lead conicals moving off the powder.

I’m wondering the same thing. I just bought a new unfired Tc Firehawk without the QLA. I want to shoot full bore bullets, but don’t want to deal with lead conicals moving off the powder.
If you have an increased loading force, they are less likely to move off the propellant. Two fingers IMO is not the correct loading force.

If you have an increased loading force, they are less likely to move off the propellant. Two fingers IMO is not the correct loading force.
I tend to solidly seat bullets on the powder. I have in the past had Maxiballs move off the powder and I would periodically check to see if they were still seated. I started using a patch of saran wrap which seemed to alleviate the problem.

Are you talking lead bullets or any fullbore bullets? I’ve only ever shot sabots and out of the 6 rifles I have they all require my hand over the ramrod to load them.

Are you talking lead bullets or any fullbore bullets? I’ve only ever shot sabots and out of the 6 rifles I have they all require my hand over the ramrod to load them.
Any full bore bullet. My bullets load in a fouled barrel at +/- 18#. When I was shooting sabots, loading forces were right around 30#.

Made it out again this morning. Temperature was a brisk 18° with light breeze. Bullets were made one mark smaller than before so for to make it easier to shove them to the powder. Shot three at 77 yard, and three at 149 yard.

G_0307.jpg

Nice that rifle, scope, and bullet are good for no hold over out 150 yard. Once again the QLA, and land riding bullet appear to be compatible.

Latest posts

Back