Nipple and Breech plug soaker?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious to see what you all soak your nipples and breech plugs in to clean them. I soak mine in carbon cleaner over night but still can never get them 100% clean. My gold shiny Treso Ampco nipples will not come clean no matter what I do.
Just looking to see other techniques and how well they work for you.

No need to soak nipples and breech plugs. Spray them with Windex with vinegar and brush the crud off with a toothbrush. Then use a drill bit to remove the crud from the flash channel.

Some of the Encore breech plugs are out of spec: The primer don't crush and that makes for a cruddy breech and breech plug.

I'll drop the nipple in the bucket of warm soapy water I use to swab my barrel with my sidehammer guns.
That's the only soaking I do with them and only for a few minutes at most.
Wiping it down with a cloth usually removes all the soot from the caps.
Sometimes I kinda buff the nipple with some 0000 steel wool to get rid of stubborn carbon buildup.

When I take out the nipple from my side hammer guns I drop it in my ultrasonic cleaner with 4:1 Simple Green & water. By the time I am done cleaning the barrel & lock, the nipple is clean. Just have to blow it dry with the compressor, put some "never seize" on the threads and re-install. DONE.

To add...I also use a pipe cleaner to get the inside of the plug or nipple shiny clean. Works really great on the White and CVA vent liner plugs, but not so much on the TC Omega plugs. I always get some fibers inside the TC plug that won't come out without using a needle to push it out, which is a pain, and looks like a "hairball". I will have vent liners installed in the TC plugs as well, when worn, should take care of it!

I use a drill bit. Nice hearing from you Toy.
Yeah, I need to do this with the TC plug. I had forgotten after I sold my Encore many years ago. Got spoiled with the White plugs....so easy and reliable!

Thanks also! Having surgery on the 21st....Hope to get out there a few more years!

I have tried a ton of cleaners and traditional home mixes. any of those citrus cleaners is probably the best thing, breaks up most gunk and is as good as any for a carbon stuffed breechplug. youll still need your tools and patience

Back