nipple thread lube??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
What is the best lube to use on nipple threads?? I don't like what i've used so far. After a shooting session it's always very difficult to remove the nipple for cleaning.. in fact i've got to where i submerge that end of my barrel in a ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes. before i start just to loosen up the crud for easy removal. thanks in advance!

I have always put a drop of Ballistol on the threads after cleaning.

I don't think it really matters, Anti-seize or Breech Plug Grease is most likely the best. I've even tried Bore Butter.

On sidelocks with a drum and nipple which has the flat surface of the nipple setting on the round surface of the drum, I use 1/4" teflon tape. This setup is notorious for leaking gasses. Guns like T/Cs and Lymans have a flat surface mated to a flat surface so not as dirty.

That's my two cents. I know folks will disagree and say their drum and nipples don't leak. Been down that path before on another forum.

Walt

I always use the silver(nickel) anti-seize
Very messy, but works great.
I don't think it really matters, Anti-seize or Breech Plug Grease is most likely the best. I've even tried Bore Butter.

On sidelocks with a drum and nipple which has the flat surface of the nipple setting on the round surface of the drum, I use 1/4" teflon tape. This setup is notorious for leaking gasses. Guns like T/Cs and Lymans have a flat surface mated to a flat surface so not as dirty.

That's my two cents. I know folks will disagree and say their drum and nipples don't leak. Been down that path before on another forum.

Walt
love that buttuh ... lot's of uses! Tastes like crap tho..

I also use stainless nipples and do not experience corrosion. But fouling can still be an issue. I have two types of grease that I've used for years, Gorilla Grease (??) and Traditions anti-seize. The "Gorilla" anti-seize may not be that particular one as the label has been gone for years; it's purple while the Traditions is white. Both work. Works well on vent liners, too.

BP-Cleaning.jpg

I also clean with windex, thru the nipple.

It gets the threads a bit wet, that may help with the non sticking.

I have had bad luck with Permatex silver Nicole anti seize. I had a musket nipple, a breech plug and two different chokes freeze up using it. Since, I use a molidnium based grease, Schaeffers high temp, high pressure and have had no problems.

If it slides, grease it. If it turns or rolls, oil it.

View attachment 37167

I also clean with windex, thru the nipple.

It gets the threads a bit wet, that may help with the non sticking.
is that the action with barrel that "threads on" (H&A) or is the slip fit with 3 set screws?? my next rifle is gonna be one of these!! Thanks for the photo,, now i know how to properly use my back out flush system!! The way these underhammer rifles are made, they should very accurate.. basically a floating barrel with the action attached to back,, seem very popular in chunk gun matches?? Has yours given you good service?

Has yours given you good service?
I am on my third improvement on the interchangeable barrel system. 32-7 bore, no 40. Missed that on some how.
They may not be getting better, but easier to make.
H@A hammers and triggers need some tuning for a smooth action.
My 1985 action is still working just fine.

Latest posts

Back