nipple thread lube??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PTFE Tape is my "GO TO" for Nipples and Breech plugs + any other part that need to have a good seal or that come apart often.. Good for Water fitting joints as well.. O.D.

I am on my third improvement on the interchangeable barrel system. 32-7 bore, no 40. Missed that on some how.
They may not be getting better, but easier to make.
H@A hammers and triggers need some tuning for a smooth action.
My 1985 action is still working just fine.
third impovement? what do you mean,, & 32-7 bore,, i guess i don't know the lingo? which barrel attachment is yours?? 3 set screw? tia!

Exarcher, I have my own attachment design. Third version of improvement.
32 cal thru 7 bore guns and barrels.
I also make my own actions.

Is it "confidential, secret ect." if not i'd love to see photo,, i built a few "slip fit" 22 benchrest rifles , but most of the guns i built the barrels were threaded on, centerfire benchrest and custom deer hunting rifles... i've not really "built" a Ml yet,, just bought parts & put em together... my next project will be an underhammer rifle for sure... (assuming i can get an action when i'm ready).. seems only 1 place carries em now (that i can find)

I have the answer!! The plumbers tape is the way to go!!! i shot ~ 30 shots today & at the end of the day,,, the nipple unscrewed as easy as it went on!! Not one "grease" did this,,, prob because their is too much wiggle room in the threads....(which allows build up of powder residue)

Is it "confidential, secret ect." if not i'd love to see photo,, i built a few "slip fit" 22 benchrest rifles , but most of the guns i built the barrels were threaded on, centerfire benchrest and custom deer hunting rifles... i've not really "built" a Ml yet,, just bought parts & put em together... my next project will be an underhammer rifle for sure... (assuming i can get an action when i'm ready).. seems only 1 place carries em now (that i can find)
Agree, let us see, it sounds good.

Use the Teflon tape and put a layer over the powder side of the nipple to keep moisture from getting in that way.
Been doing this for a few years with complete success. The cap blast blows through it no problem. Nary a misfire. I do this in my Firehawk and Hawken.
i've done this for 3 shooting sessions now, works like a charm.. nipple goes on like threads should fit, good snug fit, comes off same.. Thanks much!!

Use the Teflon tape and put a layer over the powder side of the nipple to keep moisture from getting in that way.
Been doing this for a few years with complete success. The cap blast blows through it no problem. Nary a misfire. I do this in my Firehawk and Hawken.
1 more benefit i've found now after several sessions using the tape,, my "actions" are very clean compared to without tape after shooting... none of that blow by powder is getting all over the "works".. This is the way to go for sure,, (only cap residue now, & just around the nipple & snail... Thanks!

Latest posts

Back