NJ 2-day ML season, 2 bucks down + broke in my new Triumph!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviD

Reaction score
Nice, 2-day afield and broke in the Triumph!

Got mine with a 250 grain Hornady SST in a HCR sabot with 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 and Federal 209A primer.

Dad's shot his with a Remington 700ML with a 250 grain Hornady XTP in a Knight sabot with 90 grains of GOEX FFG and CCI No. 11 cap.

Here's a little write-up I put together for a local NJ forum I'm on:

**************************************************************************************************************************

Well, Dad flew up from Florida for his annual hunting trip last week. It's always a special time of year for me, where my focus shifts towards him in hopes of putting him in front of some deer!

The old man didn't take too long to show he's still got the stuff! A mere 30 minutes after taking him into a ground blind I set up for him, he smokes a nice 5 pointer! I don't think I was even cooled off after arriving at my stand that morning!

Nice 40-45 yard shot, deer didn't go far!
729445607_vMirT-XL.jpg

We opted to take the rainy afternoon off and rest up for the 2nd day as colder temps were rolling in and things were looking promising!

We got up early today and headed off to our spot. I got to my stand just before daybreak and had some does in the distance, followed by a young buck nudging them around. That same buck decided to come down and bed 45 yards from my stand ALL morning.

Probably around 8:00AM a doe and two little ones meandered on by at about 30 yards. I really wanted to break the new Triumph in but resisted the urge given the awesome cold front with high hopes deer would be moving hard all day.

Well, that's about where the action ended. I was dying for a midday snooze, but that little buck stayed bedded by me all the way until about 1:00PM. At that point, I figured I'd just tough it out for the entire day.

Things were slow...real slow, until about 4:40PM when a group of 7 does worked their way from the direction my dad was set up to where I was...not a buck with them. About 5-10 minutes later, I was about ready to pack up as it was nearing last light when I heard approaching footsteps. I turn and see a deer, then high rack...and get into position for a shot. At a mere 15 yards I pull the trigger for the first time afield with my new T/C Triumph and as the smoke clears I catch a glimpse of the buck in mid-bound 20 yards from where I shot him. He stops, looks left, then right...and I'm thinking in my head "OMG I missed!"...and suddenly his backend gets wobbly and I know it's over! He takes a step and goes down for the count!

Nice 6 pointer, sorry no orange...packed most of the gear out and came back to snap a few quick pics and drag him out...had the orange vest off at the time.
729446554_gNkpk-XL.jpg

Just awesome! What a great 2-days spent with my dad, I really look forward each year to these days he comes up and am absolutely stoked we were able to double up together!

Next up, 6-day!!!

Your dad seems better looking than you, but maybe it is the cap.

Both deer are nice looking too.

All year, i look forward to the hunt with our boy. That time during the hunt is the very best. I think it is wonderful you spent time with your father, and enjoyed it; i am sure he enjoyed the time spent with you.

couldnt make it out monday as I had a asthma attack right as I was going out the door,so after a trip to the allergist came home and went to dicks and bought a groung blind so when it raind I can go out. suckd being sick it rarely stops me. nice looking triumph I got a brand new one also

Latest posts

Back