njs new crossbow season?!?! two thumbsdown!! thoughts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one thing... a crossbow will ALWAYS be louder,heavier and less maneuverable than a compound bow. and a compound never has to be "decocked" or unloaded when ur done hunting.

I hunt with a compound bow, but have shot and helped friends with crossbows. From my experience, they MIGHT be a LITTLE faster, but not enough to make a difference. AND they are a LOT louder. Shoot at a deer at 30 yds (let alone 40-50+ like people are claiming) and see what happens... I'll tell you... gut shot at best. Some might get lucky and actually get a deer that stands still or it's noisy enough outside, but 90+% of the deer will jump the string more than with a compound. It might group great on a target, but on something that typically jumps the string????

Also... I was helping a friend with his brand new crossbow (can't remember the brand but it wasn't a cheap one) with a scope and we couldn't get it to shoot consistently. We looked it over and noticed that one screw on the rail was missing, another was sheered off, and the 3rd was bent. I really want that in the field. They require a lot of torque to get that bolt moving at similar speeds as a compound, since their limbs and axle to axle measurements are significantly less.

So I'd have to say that crossbows aren't necessarily better or worse. They're different. My preference is a compound, but that is my preference. There are some people out there that can't use a compound and in order to participate in the sport they love, they need to use a crossbow. Who are the rest of us to judge them or anyone wanting to use one where it's legal? I don't criticize or bad mouth someone for wanting to use a different caliber, handgun, muzzleloader, or shotgun when I use what I use for gun season?

I hunt with a crossbow exclusively. Ohio was one of the first States to allow it with archery season. It's a laugh to look back when Ohio had a 3 day crossbow season. All the myths were abound. Guys though we were going to decimate the herd. The biggest opponents were the archers. Boy, it all seems so stupid now. It's just something to kiddingly argue about at camp. The young guys will jeer that only old fat guys use them so their bellies won't get caught on the bowstring. I'm old so I guess half of that applies to me. I see our neighboring States were late to the game. Anytime we exclude a group from our sport-the sport suffers. Here in Ohio the deer problem still exists so the crossbow is not as decimating to our herd as the naysayers would have you believe. We can harvest 18 deer if we want to buy the permits. Why would anyone care what I use. If you want to restrict yourself because deer hunting has become too blauze' then have at it. It's bad enough that our politicians erode our freedoms. It's really sad when our fellow Bolshevik sportsmen want to do the same.

I started out with a Horton X-Bow and still have it. I used the X-Bow for about 1 to 2 yrs. back when I was 16 and now I have used a compound for the last 15 yrs. There is nothing wrong with people that use a X-Bow, hell I thought about going back but there would be too much ribbin from friends. For one, complaining about X-Bows could be said from the recurve guys complaining about compounds. Two, I don't care what anyone uses as long as they still get out and enjoy the outdoors. I'm from Ohio and no matter how many we kill on the farms we hunt it does not put a dent in them and we take quite a load. I'll also say I would like to shake the man's hand that could shoot a X-Bow at a deer running from a drive, that would be one hell of a man. There is always two sides to a fence.

I used a crossbow last year and WOW I crushed em! NOT You still need to see deer and they have to be within 40yds for a humane harvest. Yes you do have an advantage with the first shot but try cocking a 175lb crossbow quietly in a tree stand if you can even do it without falling out of the tree. As far as deer drives go we did them with bows. Quietly moving toward your buddys stand in an attempt to bump a deer to him, I think we have all did it one time or another. I am for the hunter using whatever he wants as long as it legal.

[/b]

I've been shooting compounds for years. Do to shoulder surgery last year I almost had to switch to a crossbow witch I have had for 6 years but didn't shoot much. After some practice and experimenting the crossbow was sold and I got some lighter limbs for my compound! The crossbow was to front end heavy and wasn't any more accurate than my Switchback XT at 60 lbs. The XT even had better penetration than the crossbow at a longer distance.

I see nothing wrong with crossbow. Indiana is open to a crossbow all archery season if you have a handicap permit. It also has an open crossbow season after the firearms season. It also gets more people hunting!

same old discussion with a different twist. The tradition bow hunters scream that compounds shouldn't be allowed, longer ranges, faster arrows don't have to hold as much poundage, they shouldn't be allowed. Tradition muzzleloaders cry that the inlines are the scourge of the earth, should only be allowed to be used during gun seasons. I've hunted with a recurve, compound and yes even a xbow, this year I'm back to a compound for reasons that are my own. Use what you want and enjoy the outdoors.

The OP is an idiot. It is easier to hunt with a modern compound than it is with a huge heavy clunky loud crossbow. Maybe I am in the minority but I picked up shooting compounds instantly. Took very little practice at all. At 20 and 30 yards I can not aim at the same spot or I destroy arrows left and right. I however can not do that with my fathers crossbow. It is so heavy that you can not hold super steady. My compund shoots faster, is lighter, quieter, smaller and more maneuverable.

If anything it should be the other way around. Crossbows should be legal and compounds illegal to hunt with. I just can not stand the holier than thou attitude of many archers. Now on the other hand if you hunt with a long bow or recurve then mucho respect to you. THAT is REAL archery.

The OP is an idiot. It is easier to hunt with a modern compound than it is with a huge heavy clunky loud crossbow. Maybe I am in the minority but I picked up shooting compounds instantly. Took very little practice at all. At 20 and 30 yards I can not aim at the same spot or I destroy arrows left and right. I however can not do that with my fathers crossbow. It is so heavy that you can not hold super steady. My compund shoots faster, is lighter, quieter, smaller and more maneuverable.

If anything it should be the other way around. Crossbows should be legal and compounds illegal to hunt with. I just can not stand the holier than thou attitude of many archers. Now on the other hand if you hunt with a long bow or recurve then mucho respect to you. THAT is REAL archery.

I bought my first crossbow last month an Excalibur Ibex for many reasons, but first of all I'm not getting any younger and the late seasons are getting colder...I see more deer in September/October and they don't seem to care I'm there. (Gonna fool them this year!!) :lol:

Regardless of your weapon of choice, if you don't like what others use "get over it". We are hunters first as long as its legal in your state and you can make a clean quick kill I'm for it!! :!:

Yes to Xbows

I'm 58 now with 2 bad sholders. When I was a young man I shot tourney archery before we knew what a "compound" was. Over the years I had to give up the bow. Now Texas has made xbows legal for everybody. It sure hasn't been the bloodletting that all the "purist" bowhunters have cried about. I say we should all get along. I know for the first time in 35 years I'm excited about being able to get back into the woods with something besides a rifle. I hope to be able to report a successful xbow kill in the upcoming season.

Crossbows have neither the range nor the accuracy that a modern compound does.

My Ten Point HLX shoots at 300 FPS with a 175 lb draw weight. Yes, it's noisy but I intend to hunt hogs more than deer. I just got it this year and haven't taken it out since I got into black powder, but I will. I don't imagine a hog will jump the string.

I too have bad shoulders and couldn't hold a regular compound for any length of time or do it enough to practice.

Latest posts

Back