No more driving to see........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Somehow a new Vortex Viper HD, 20-60x80 followed me home today :wink:

Should save me some grief at the range looking for bullet holes beyond 200yds.

Isn't that something how them rifles sneak out in the parking lot and jump in your car when you're not looking.

Good luck with the new rifle.

cayuga said:
Isn't that something how them rifles sneak out in the parking lot and jump in your car when you're not looking.

Good luck with the new rifle.

Spotting scope :wink:

However I did sell a rifle today. The Rem 700ml SS .54cal is pending funds. Heading to ND.

What does that Ultimate weigh? All my Savage and remington action guns come in HEAVY. All noticeably a few pounds more than most others, probably in the #10+ range. My Knights (even Mountaineers) are probably ~8# and seem heavy.

Squeeze said:
What does that Ultimate weigh? All my Savage and remington action guns come in HEAVY. All noticeably a few pounds more than most others, probably in the #10+ range. My Knights (even Mountaineers) are probably ~8# and seem heavy.

The scope is 1# 3oz. and is included in the 10# 3oz total weight.

I even sold off several rifles a while back. I was kind of proud of myself for parting with my babies like that. Believe me, after making the deals and boxing them up, I was so ready to just cancel the deals. But now, I am glad I did. Might sell off a few more in the future.

ENCORE50A said:

I think you will really like it. I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 after looking thru one at Friendship last year. I was comparing 1-on-1 vs my Unertl (I've always thought it was nice and clear) but the Diamondback was unbelievably clear. After selling my Unertl for nearly 2x what the Vortex cost - I just hope it holds up as well for as many years..

52Bore said:
ENCORE50A said:

I think you will really like it. I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 after looking thru one at Friendship last year. I was comparing 1-on-1 vs my Unertl (I've always thought it was nice and clear) but the Diamondback was unbelievably clear. After selling my Unertl for nearly 2x what the Vortex cost - I just hope it holds up as well for as many years..

I think Vortex has a lifetime "no matter what" kind of warrantee. I figured that with the warrantee that Vortex has, those who have purchased Vortex and needed service, and their reports are always positive, I may as well spring for a lifetime tool. Hope it lasts me a LONG TIME :wink:

Edit: I did find out yesterday that my old camera tripod isn't up to the task. I better start budgeting for one of them now...........

A guy at one of our public range made a base for the spotting scope that clamped to the post in his shooting lane. It worked great if you have a spotter or don't mind getting up to look at your target.

Sinclair sells these bench mounts.
l_749007844_1.jpg

Well I'm trying to get rid of my first "common cold" in over 20 years. Need I mention that I'd forgotten just how bad one of them can make a person feel?
Next and depending on which weatherman you listen to, starting tonight one is saying 12" to 18" and the other 18" to 24" of wet heavy snow. Not again?!

So I figured that feeling better and with no snow, I could update on the spotting system.

The Vortex Viper HD is a really nice spotting scope :yeah: I was lucky to get it for the price I paid. Then yesterday the SLIK tripod showed up. Didn't play with it, just unboxed it was about all I could manage. Today feeling better, I took it outside and set it up. I was IMPRESSED with the tripod :yeah: :yeah: . Although I was only viewing on my 150yd range, even at 60x there was no wobble when adjusting the focus or fine. A far cry from tripods I've had in the past. Now its NOT a hunting tripod unless you're part gorilla, as it is heavy. But for range work, especially setting it away from where it could get covered in smoke, its going to be perfect. I installed that shoe to the scope, then it locks into the tripod. Easy and very secure. Just release a lever, hold down another and the scope comes right off.
Snapped a couple photos.......

Latest posts

Back