Noob from w. Central Idaho

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a 20 year veteran LEO, sniper and hunter. My primary passion is backcountry muzzleloader hunting. Each year I try to find a new project and and experiment with my rifles.

Currently, I'm "building" a T/C Thunderhawk .54 to shoot No Excuses 485gr. I've added a custom muzzle brake, converted the 209 ignition system to accept Variflame adapters and added a handmade picatinny rail for optics and/or Revic rear peep. This gun will shoot 90-100gr of Alliant/Shooters World MZ Black and a lubricated felt wad under the NE slugs.

I own a CVA Optima NW for Idaho muzzleloader specific hunts. I shoot Powerbelts over the Alliant MZ Black, but I would like to find a lightweight lead conical (Idaho legal) that meets the bullet weight restrictions set by CVA for this rifle.

I also purchased a new CVA LR-X which will have a Harrell's Precision 'sabot muzzlebrake' on it with optics (where legal) for general seasons. Shooting Parker Precision 275gr Ballistic Extreme, Harvester Crush Rib Sabot, and BH209.

In my future is a traditional style muzzy for Montana hunts, but I'm not sure where to start on that project as of yet.....

Attachments

• Thunderhawk1.JPG
    Thunderhawk1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • TC Variflame.JPEG
    TC Variflame.JPEG
    351.3 KB · Views: 0
Thank you, glad you clarified that for me. Being so far back in the sticks I am always late knowing about this new fangled stuff!
Hahaa, yeah I had a long conversation with Bob Parker about it when he was helping me with my T/C project. He's ticked off that his Hydra-con isn't approved by IDFG, but the Powerbelts are....sucks becuase I really want to try those in Idaho.

Welcome from southeast Oklahoma.
I recently acquired a 54 caliber thunderhawk. So far I've only shot round ball out of it but have just received a pack of 260 grain Harvester Scopions to try out.

Also in Idaho and I shoot the Hornady Great Plains 385gr in my optima. I’ve killed elk with the Powerbelts but I wasn’t a fan of them.

Back