Northern Ky Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mebits

Reaction score
I've not been real active on here in a while, but this group was invaluable helping me get set up with my muzzy in the first place. I thought I'd share my latest muzzy hunt.

I'm shooting a Traditions Pursuit Ultra light that I got a couple years ago, dirt cheap online. I'm using BH209 and 260gr Harvester Scorpions. I settled on a 110gr. load. It's a lot of recoil, but it's accurate.

I've taken on another "padawan jaeger", and wanted to show him how it's done, so we set up at the bottom of a path through a choke point, with the wind and thermals in our faces. Basically, if the deer want to move North to South or vice versa with cover, they have to cross that path.  The shooting lane is about  120 yards long. Some places, it's quite narrow.

So, we got there just at first light, and set up. It has been warm so the grass and weeds are up. Visibility to the sides was poor. Still, we had our plan and sat. The next problem was that there was a branch down in front of me, but I was able to adjust myself so that the top of the path was an un-obscured frame. Anything closer and I'd have to be mindful of branches.

Multiple times, I thought I heard deer but I was afraid to stand up to get a look lest they see me first and bolt. I waited, trusting in my plan that if they were coming they would cross my lane.

Well, at 7:53 I saw a bit of white at the top of the path. I quickly acquired it in my scope, and found that the front shoulder was just behind a honeysuckle branch, and the deer was moving off. I knew my gun so I aimed right at the tight edge of the branch right about an inch behind where I estimated his elbow was. It was then or never, so I squeezed the trigger.

As the cloud of smoke dissipated I was hearing the sounds of wood falling and saw branches waving. Had I not seen a branch through my scope? My heart sank, but I stood and reloaded. If I hit a branch and hit that deer, he could be in any kind of shape. As I reloaded, though, I thought, "Dude, you're no rookie. You set that exact shot up. It was clear on all sides." I looked up, and thought I saw a little sliver of white. I felt relief pour over me, but I still continued reloading as I may have simply spined the deer. As I was putting a primer in, I looked up the hill to see a large white belly present to me as the deer rolled over.

That was a good sign and one my young padawan was impressed by. We quickly walked up the hill, to survey our prey. As we approached, it was clear the deer was very dead. My shot was perfect, right behind the "elbow". The devastation was clear, with lung tissue coming out of the ENTRY hole. It was a button buck, that never knew what hit it. A perfectly clean kill and a perfect shot.

Next up, getting my padawan to the range for a bit of practice. :)

IMG_20161015_093056454_zpspxfkvzqq.jpg

Nice. We were in the woods at the same time. 
Weather was nice in the morning, but a bit too warm. 

Has it been warmer everywhere? Seems it has been everywhere I go.

So, I have to ask... Is your Light Round Ball red or blue?

Great story! My first animal with a muzzle loader was a little fork horn mule deer buck out of Walcott Colorado. It was the last day of hunting season, last hour of legal light. I saw a small herd of mulies about 125yds away in thick aspens. I started to "put the sneak on" and made another 50yrds closer. Looking hard to see antlers (this was before the three point restriction) I finally discovered a young buck sitting on the ground, chewing his cud. Standing up, he gave me a picture framed shot between two aspens, with no more than his neck and head to shoot at. Standing, looking way from me, I waited to see if he would look sideways and give me the last possible neck shot. Suddenly he looked to his right, I pulled the trigger and "boom"...........no breeze so the smoke hung for a few seconds, and what I saw was a "deerless canvas". Feeling frustrated I had missed, I never the less began to reload and make up the 75yds distance, when suddenly a leg appeared above the tall grass. Shot had passed through the neck inches below the head and had shattered the spine and vertebrae. That shot was made with my first ML, a .50 cal. Leman Plains Rifle of the 1970's and since then the only center fire rifle I had ever hunted with is my Shiloh Sharps. Yesterday I was out again with my .62 cal smooth rifle, looking for a good bull or big buck...seeing neither, I never the less continue on with a tradition that started nearly 50 years ago. Sitting with my back up against a Ponderosa (Bull Pine in this country) I remembered one of the best things about hunting is during a lull in the action a good snooze is good medicine. 30 minutes later I woke up, got up and started the mile long walk back to my truck.........getting glimpse of a medium buck along the way.

"These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent.." Del Gue

God is good! and once in a while He gives me a critter, sometimes meat and sometimes He includes a trophy.........but all the time He gives me breath!

We hunters are a rare and blessed breed!

Congrats on your kill!

Doug

Edited and added pic.

I cannot tell you how much I like the effectiveness of this load. I've shot six deer with it and 1/3 have dropped right there. None have run more than 40yds.

I think this is why:

f2b1ae37-f93d-42e5-bea1-012ae410561d_zpsda9afd81.jpg

It may be hard on my shoulder, but it's harder on the deer. BTW, anybody else notice that the entry holes are nastier than the exit holes? I expected the opposite!

Copy3ofvde1016_muzzle_loader_muley_editedE-1.jpg
:cheers:

------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s.  Great job in bullet recovery...thanks for sharing!

CONGRATS :!: :!: :!: Tender vittles there......ENJOY

Ray............. :Red tup:

bobbythehunter said:
great shooting. what is the "predawan" stuff?
I think "mentoree" is clumsy. A "padawan" is student Jedi. Jaeger (pronounced "yay-GUR" is German for "hunter", and is much cooler. :) So I refer to my trainees as "padawan jaegers"

M

Latest posts

Back