Not really wild,

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
But this 19 pound Brisket certainly has the house smelling like a hillbilly deli. Such a delightful scent.

Done with northern hard maple and applewood chunks and charcoal.

Before....

1xsSmAj.jpg

After....

a1kbU3W.jpg

looks awesome !
i put a rack of ribs on the weber kettle this morning using the snake method .
good times :)

i put little wood chunks along the snake and save the big chunks for the drum smoker or the offset . i've cooked low and slow with this method for up to 9 hours . just close your vents when you're done to smother the fire and reuse the left over briquets on your next cook .

20220827_113544.jpg20220827_113544.jpg

Here's the finished product, thinly sliced and about 98% of the fat removed. The brisket started out as a 19 pound 3 ounce hunk of meat. Finished smoking weight was right around 18 1/2 pounds. Defatted, meat only shown, weighs in at just under 15 pounds.

6aKsF7Z.jpg

While slicing I had to sample some of the goodie and find that it's a very tender brisket and moist.

Jeff.... I use chunk wood with charcoal on the large Weber as well but I wrap the wood chunks in heavy foil, twice. I also keep all the coals, maybe 15, at one end of the grill immediately above the only lower vent I leave open. I lay two of the foil wrapped "bombs" on the coals then lay an aluminum sheet baffle over the coals and bombs. The grill itself has a sheet of heavy foil on it and the thick end of the meat goes on over the coal end of the grill. The grill cover goes on with the vent at the opposite side of the grill from the coals. This creates a draft thru the grill that assures complete smoke coverage of the meat and helps distribute the heat equally.

On this brisket, the bombs and coals were renewed three times, when the bombs stopped making smoke. The wood inside the bombs creates charcoal which I use to cook other meals. These bombs were apple and maple chunks and they make a super nice red meat smoke. Apple and pear wood makes a sweet as does apple and cherry smoke.

Thank you Jeff, I have one of the dedicated Weber smokers with the charcoal at the bottom, then a water pot and two racks above it. Gas is what I typically use at home for grilling. We have 2 Webers at the cabin and I'll have to try those methods out. Never knew!
John

that looks DELICIOUS MrTom ! you definately know what you're doing !

phalanx those smokey mountains are very versatile and make delicious grub .
i use a water pan on the offset but not on my kettle or drum .
it's all about what works and taste best to who ever the cook is ;) .

This is the 32nd brisket I have doner on this grill using the same protocol. I do about 3 a year.

you're an old pro then ! :)
i just started smoking about 1 1/2 years ago . started with a electric masterbuilt , quickly went to a oklahoma joe longhorn combo , then i got a oklahoma joe bronco . then my lady wanted a flat grill so we got the 4 burner sams club , and then earlier this spring i won the weber 22 kettle from " I'm Hungry " on youtube . ...... it can become addictive ! hahaha

I judge myself by how many burns I've acquired farting around with various grills and smokers. lol A few too many actually.

It sounds as though you have a veritable army of cooking tools. I think the best purchase I ever made was the 22" Weber. I've worn out a couple of gas grills and one other 22" Weber. I have a slightly smaller Weber that I use more than the larger one now. Ribs, briskets and the occasional Lake Trout fillet or two go on the larger grill. I'm thinking about the flat grill but haven't made a move on one yet. I need a new tiller first.

Yea , the weber kettle is pretty bad butt . But if I could only keep one it would be my bronco . It's nice to have different toys to play with though 😁

They all look delicious! Nice grilling tips.

Back