October Country 58 cal mini's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rlsmith said:
Anybody shoot these and if so thoughts

Rl, I have! I hate to run down any Co. and especially 1 that is basically in my Backyard, I bought some 600 Grain .58 Cal Maxi Balls From October Country a few years ago, When i got home i weighed the bullets to check them (i shoot plus or minus 1 Grain) The bullets i got from them were ALL over the board, I cannot remember the exact amount of deviation between them? But i do remember it was REALLY big, like 15-20 Grains apart! To say i was EXTREMELY disappointed would be an understatement. You could see holes in the Bases, Some had large Wrinkles in them, All from VERY POOR fill out, Mold not up to temp, or contaminates? Either way they should have went back in the Lead Pot!! Instead they chose to package and sell them like that. I think i paid 10 bucks for them? It wasn’t worth driving back over, they are about 45 minutes to an hour from me.
And more recently, My neighbors Lyman .58 Cal that he wanted me to shoot, and check out for him, He sent me some Roundball, and October Country Minie balls to shoot in it, I weighed the Minie balls and they were ALL over the board, EXACT same as the Junk Maxi Balls that i had gotten a few years Back. If you are picky about your Bullet weights, I would NOT advise them!

Here is a review on their Maxi Balls, This fella had the same experience i did

I killed a 5x5 bull elk with one! 3 Star Review
Posted by John Schirmer on 18th Sep 2012

As the title states, I killed a nice bull elk with the 430 gr .54 cal. The reason why I didn't give this product a full 5 stars is because not all of the bullets were carefully molded to tight specs so some of them were lopsided, poured in a cool mold, or poured in a different mold. This made me pick through the bag and shoot the good ones and throw away the crappy ones. But the individual bullets I was happy with worked well and did the job.

Rlsmith said:
Thanks I won't even bother

Maybe try Track of the Wolf? They carry them as well, and seem very reputable. I wouldn’t be shy about calling them and asking if they check their bullet weights before packaging?

Idaholewis said:
Rlsmith said:
Thanks I won't even bother

Maybe try Track of the Wolf? They carry them as well, and seem very reputable. I wouldn’t be shy about calling them and asking if they check their bullet weights before packaging?

X2 on Track of the wolf never had a problem with them.

I've used October round balls and they were pretty good. Conicals........not so much. TOW is a better choice.

Latest posts

Back