Off Hand Shooting today (Video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
First shooting video in a LONG time! I just wanted to have a little fun and do some more practicing off hand. Nothing great, just enjoying the beautiful 55* weather and blue skies. A little breeze. I also tested the .015" patches and while accuracy was good, it wasn't anywhere as good as when I use my .020 or .024" patches with the same powder charge and ball.  It was nice to get dressed up as well. Gotta practice with what you wear at rendezvous and so out came the elk skin pants, drop sleeve shirt and that bad ass ( it really is! ) "floppy" hat. It does a great job keeping the bright sky over head out of your eyes. I did wear my shooting glasses so I didn't get spammed by the keyboard punchers :D
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lWjfOkSBOWQ" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Cripes! You don't have any snow. You'd be in 3ft of snow here.

Good shooting offhand. How far?

40 yards.

We have some snow in the shade, but its been hot the last few days. Plus we had 2 days of rain.

The soil is real soft, you just sink into the ground in moccasins.

Awesome Video Jonathan! I really enjoyed it, keep em coming!! You did AWESOME on that Stock, I think the Tack work looks KILLER!! I need to Buy 1 of them Kit Rifles for a Winter Project, Maybe 1 for my Dad as well, Dad and i would Both enjoy putting them together!

EXCELLENT Off hand shooting!!! That is something i need to Practice, I Rarely ever Practice off hand and it Shows :barf: Off hand Shooting takes a LOT of Skill to get really good at, I have been there, When i was a Little Kid with my Pellet Rifle, I rolled Pigeons out of Tree tops on The Wa Coast (Tall Trees!!) But it’s been a LONG time since I’ve Shot off Hand. I am always on a Shooting Bench, Or something Fairly solid to Rest on, I have become REALLY Dependent on it, which isn’t Good from a Hunting Standpoint. I plan to Start Shooting from Cross Sticks, and Off Hand, A Little of everything coming up this Spring/Summer.

I love offhand shooting. My dad taught me and my brother to shoot offhand and he wouldn't let us do any other kind of shooting. Practice to hunting we shot offhand. I never changed and have done that to this day. I even sight in a gun offhand because shooting from a bench gives me a different POI and then when I shoot offhand the POI is wrong, so I gave up on the bench completely and sight in now offhand.

The more you do it the better you get at it and the more you like it. For me, guns fit better and felt recoil is less offhand.

What a great day you had to enjoy the outdoors FG.  It's always productive to get one's butt off the bench and do some real-world, off-hand shooting in the field.  We all needs to do that...present company included.  Very appropriate 8) dress code to enhance your shooting experience!  :Red tup: 
Good shooters tip on bumping the rifle on the side to help load the drum for that particular powder.  

Can you recover the bullets from the tires :?:

offhand.jpg
  ​

Yep! I recovered almost every ball I shot yesterday and the 2 days prior. Good heavy duty 10ply tires.

FrontierGander said:
Yep! I recovered almost every ball I shot yesterday and the 2 days prior. Good heavy duty 10ply tires.
NICE :ttups: ... I might need to take a trip to the town dump for some tires!

Latest posts

Back