OH NO, I MISSED.....once

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
This morning started out OK. About +4 C but a little foggy and humid. Got into my blind about 1/2 hour before legal shooting time. My hunting partner decided he wanted to use my other blind about 250 yds away.
When I first arrived I heard a weird noise but didn't immediately recognize it. Got into the blind and then noticed there were 4 cows providing 4 calves with breakfast :D. When legal shooting time arrived I saw a mulie doe approaching about 120 yds away. She was moving real slow and grazing. Shortly after about 70 yds away saw a whitetail buck stop and look my way. Sorry, no whitetail tag left for this year so he got a pass.
I lost sight of the doe as she went behind a small hill or into some trees. I saw a couple of deer moving my partners way but heard no shots. Spotted the first doe again as she walked south behind a hill right in front of me and within a minute she came out the other side and started moving towards me, real slow, grazing. I had been thinking of trying a head shot and pondered this for several minutes. Finally decided to give it a go. She was head on and didn't want to risk hitting her body this way in case I missed her forehead.
She put her head down and I squeezed. Yup, missed.
She heard the echoe of the shot off the trees behind her and ran right at me, but I'm a slow reloader in the confines of my blinds. She finally turned and walked towards my hunting partners blind. I watched but he never shot. A couples of minutes later saw a whitetail buck come out right in front of him and then, BOOM. What was really funny was that a few seconds after the shot I saw this huge cloud of smoke drifting towards me. He doesn't have a savage and shoots 80 grains of pyrodex under a 44 cal XTP. Have tried to talk him into a Savage and he's fired mine and is impressed. I wandered over to take a look and he had a very respectable 3 x 3 buck on the ground. He opted for a neck shot and hit him right a the base of the skull. Dropped like a rock he says. Blood everywhere as the picture at the end will show. I returned to my blind for an hour and saw a couple more deer but nothing was shootable. We then went for a spin around the pasture to see what we could find. 5 minutes later we came upon 2 mulie fawns, just what I'm looking for. Already have 3 good sized deer in the freezer and don't want much more but something tender. Both were chowing down on the abundant grass and showing me their back sides. Finally one turned enough to give me a quartering shot. Hit him(turned out to be a baby buck) about mid rib and exited out through his shoulder blade and he hit the ground in his tracks. Later discovered that bullet nicked the spinal column. I made a 6 inch diameter entrance hole and a 1 inch exit. Those 250 SST's are wicked. Didn't take any pictures of my baby. Would have had to set the camera on Macro ; :D :D Anyway here's the picture of my partner whitetail
test21068.jpg

Nice story raf. Your story gets me excited about our muz season opening up soon. Can't wait.

Latest posts

Back