old powder question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadbreak

Reaction score
I still have some 777 pellets and primers left over from last year. Can I reuse this or should I just shoot it up and by some fresher stuff? I don't really shoot this gun allot but I was thinking of trying some loose powder instead of pellets but I,m just not sure if the right thing for me (ease of use, more complicated).

If you do shoot pellets and wish to store them after the hunt, I was told to vacuum seal them. I never done that but was told by a person they do that and come next year the pellets are as good as when they last used them. They seal the whole container.

If you have left over pellets but want to try loose powder, get some loose and sight your rifle in. Then use the pellets on the range for fun shooting. I shoot a lot of loose but am going to purchase some pellet powder if I can find them on sale.

Good luck with your rifle.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm just a little intimidated by the loose powder and dont want to a bunch if it will go bad or I cant get it in a very small container.

You can purchase a cap that will screw onto the jug of the loose powder when you take the cap off. That powder will stay good for a very long time it you keep it in a cool dry place.

The you get a volume powder measure and some load tubes. Lane sells them. You measure out the charges you want and carry that in load tubes. The jug does not have to go around and the load tubes fit right in your pocket for hunting.

I've had jugs of powder last four years and it was still good powder.

I bought a bunch of Pyrodex RS back in 2005 when WallyWorld put it on clearance. I still have 5# or so of it. I took it to the range and it still shoots great. There may be a slight velocity loss compared to new, but it still shoots fine.

When a little mom & pops sporting goods store was driven out of business up here, I bought the man out of all his sub powders (he had no black) and any .50 & .54 caliber projectiles. He has a lot of powder called Clean Shot which is APP I believe.

I was shooting that powder out of sidelocks for years and it never went bad. I just made sure I only opened one pound at a time. And a pound of powder around here does not last too long. Some of that powder was over five years old before I got around to shooting it.

I kind of miss the small sporting good stores. It was as much fun to go in there and talk over coffee with them as anything. Even though they had to mark their prices up a little more then the Wal Marts and other big stores.

Yes the "Mom & Pop" stores are getting harder to find and more are closeing down. I would gladly pay a little more just to have the friendly atmosphere that they have!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get the stuff you recomended and try some of the Blackhorn 209 if I can find it.

Latest posts

Back