Can a Remington 700ml be used with loose powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solomoriah

Reaction score
I was watching a video of one being loaded and apparently the primer is a cut off .308 case. Its just a regular Remington bolt action with a different barrel on it.

So if you try to use this with loose powder, either it has to be primed first (bad idea) or the powder is just going to go all the way through and out the bolt. Video I watched had it being loaded with Pyrodex pellets and a plastic sabot round.

This seems to be a really expensive way to shoot, with there apparently being no way to get the cost under $2 a shot, in a rifle the ATF and most states consider to just be a regular bolt action .308 (which it mostly is)

Side note - I wonder if Remington has some sort of patent on using a reloadable piece of rifle brass as the primer, and thats why the nitrofire rounds have to be plastic?

seems you watched a video of someone firing a standard model 308 using it as a muzzleloader or someway replaced the breech plug in a m/l with some kind of different breech plug

I was watching a video of one being loaded and apparently the primer is a cut off .308 case. Its just a regular Remington bolt action with a different barrel on it.

So if you try to use this with loose powder, either it has to be primed first (bad idea) or the powder is just going to go all the way through and out the bolt. Video I watched had it being loaded with Pyrodex pellets and a plastic sabot round.

This seems to be a really expensive way to shoot, with there apparently being no way to get the cost under $2 a shot, in a rifle the ATF and most states consider to just be a regular bolt action .308 (which it mostly is)

Side note - I wonder if Remington has some sort of patent on using a reloadable piece of rifle brass as the primer, and thats why the nitrofire rounds have to be plastic?
ARE YOU POSITIVE........... it was a Remington 700ml, or was it the RUM, which does use a case as a primer carrier????

Not familiar with teh Remington and how they are set up... but my Short Lane inline adapter to make a single shot shotgun a muzzle loader has the problem of powder going straight thru when loading.

Easy solution is to leave the fired primer in, load, and as last step remove dead primer and put in a fresh one.

............................. Side note - I wonder if Remington has some sort of patent on using a reloadable piece of rifle brass as the primer................
Actually, they do to a point. Remington purchased the rights to the ignition system from Ken Johnston (R.I.P.) who invented the ignition system years before, for the actual Ultimate Firearms Inc. muzzleloader, commonly referred to as the BP Xpress.

Its a unique system and actually an excellent system for hunting. But neither rifle is a target rifle nor were they ever designed as such. They are long range hunting rifles and do well at that. Mount a scope, zero it and its a "no brainer" long range muzzleloader right out of the box.
However there is one flaw for both rifles......... head spacing with the brass cases. It is NOT a flaw the either rifle, the problem is with the brass cases. The head space is not set using the length of the case. Length only helps with alignment on the breech plug nipple. Its with the head thickness of the brass cases, which can vary up to .020". Even Starline brass will have a case head thickness variation of .005". If the inside primer hole is not sealed 100%, it will cause gas to leak and over time, gas cut the breech plug nipple. There is a way to fix the issue and to my knowledge, I'm the only person to do so.

I’m fairly certain what you seen was the remington ultimate muzzleloader..it uses a primed casing as an ignition source..used up to 4 pellets worth of powder…it was a decently big hit for a few years but has since faded in popularity
Production has started back up with the RUM and it is still selling well. As I mentioned, its not a target shooting rifle, just a hunting rifle. For the hunter that only shoots 5 or 10 rounds a year and wants a longer range rifle, its a great purchase. If you're going to shoot 500+ rounds a year, then I'd suggest purchasing something else.

1703773272164.jpeg

If i had a mini lathe i believe it would be an easy job to make that original plug accept the modern LRMP modules that ASG and Hankins make. But i still dont like the flame channel length and diameter. Not sure I would want to make it larger because of the way its recessed for the cartridge. Just seems like too much work to fix it, now that there are good replacement systems.

If i had a mini lathe i believe it would be an easy job to make that original plug accept the modern LRMP modules that ASG and Hankins make. But i still dont like the flame channel length and diameter. Not sure I would want to make it larger because of the way its recessed for the cartridge. Just seems like too much work to fix it, now that there are good replacement systems.
Yup, they're just not made for people who want shoot often or year round. I was shooting 5 CASES of propellant through my BP Xpress yearly, but when I bought it, we didn't have the rifles available that we do today.
I can't count the number of breech plugs Ken replaced for me. Never cost me a cent. For the UF rifles, mine was the first Luke changed the OEM system on. What a difference. Perfection. Now days, its normally the first thing the RUM owners do, is to change the OEM ignition system out for the Arrowhead system, which eliminates the gas cutting and leaking and allows them to shoot heavy charges of BH. Most are shooting between 106grs and 112grs BY WEIGHT of BH and the 320gr Fury.

Back