Old Reliable comes thru again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusticbob

Reaction score
I know this forum is mostly for muzzleloaders, but I am so happy today after shooting this nice little buck. I have to tell someone!
I turned 70 this fall, all my good hunting buddies have died or moved away. It’s been three years since I shot a buck, and I was thinking of giving up deer hunting. I took my old reliable RUGER m77 in 30.06 out for a walk on this rainy day, I have hunted with this rifle for over 25 years, and she now has 18 bucks to her credit.
9am today this nice little 5 pointer came running by chasing a hot doe. He made a mistake and stopped in the goldenrod, and I took him at 100yds, with open sights.
Tough drag, mostly uphill, but the Jetsled sure helped.

Attachments

• EB0C1B9A-F968-4934-BC3B-93295737F244.jpeg
    EB0C1B9A-F968-4934-BC3B-93295737F244.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • E925EEF3-7E90-4F48-9A64-B6F6A08A4EFE.jpeg
    E925EEF3-7E90-4F48-9A64-B6F6A08A4EFE.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
When I checked in my buck today, there was another local Hunter checking in his buck this morning. Unbelievable he shot it in Vermont on his way back from a few days in Maine. Nice bucks.
Guess which one comes from Maine? Both these bucks are probably the same age.
No wonder so many Vermont hunters also hunt Maine!3AB2D6F6-EFE6-4B89-B0B5-9562EF080578.jpeg

I know this forum is mostly for muzzleloaders, but I am so happy today after shooting this nice little buck. I have to tell someone!
I turned 70 this fall, all my good hunting buddies have died or moved away. It’s been three years since I shot a buck, and I was thinking of giving up deer hunting. I took my old reliable RUGER m77 in 30.06 out for a walk on this rainy day, I have hunted with this rifle for over 25 years, and she now has 18 bucks to her credit.
9am today this nice little 5 pointer came running by chasing a hot doe. He made a mistake and stopped in the goldenrod, and I took him at 100yds, with open sights.
Tough drag, mostly uphill, but the Jetsled sure helped.
100 yards with iron sights earns some bragging rights with me.
Congrats!

When I checked in my buck today, there was another local Hunter checking in his buck this morning. Unbelievable he shot it in Vermont on his way back from a few days in Maine. Nice bucks.
Guess which one comes from Maine? Both these bucks are probably the same age.
No wonder so many Vermont hunters also hunt Maine!View attachment 28015
The one on the left.

Nice work rusticbob. That sled idea looks like it takes a decent amount of work out of the dragging thing.

Congrats! I love those old boat paddle Ruger stocks.
Well thank you very much. This is probably the most accurate rifle I own. Of course I do handload for her, and use mostly Sierra bullets. Recoil is rugged from the bench, but you never feel it in the field.
I do have a very nice Nikon 3x9 set up in Ruger scope rings that seem to return to zero. It adds about a pound to the rifle, so unless I plan on sitting somewhere for a long period of time, I usually do not use it.
I hunt with binoculars, and shoot with the sights that came with the rifle, mostly.
I do use a modified sight blade that gives me a peep like sight, as my eyes age it has become even easier to see for me mounted way out half way down the barrel, and I practice a lot.
The exotic hardwood inserts were made in NH many years ago by a company I think was called Lutz woodworking? Kind of dresses up a production gun. Not sure why, but this setup works for me.image.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back