old style inline but same great results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I looked at the rack today and realized I had not shot my White Ultra Mag in .504 caliber in a long time. Since I intend to hunt the modern season with it, I threw the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm on it, and checked my notes. Sighted in for 75 yards... Well we would see.

I took out four kinds of powder and a brand new box of 500 grain Bull Shop conicals and a tin of RWS 1075 caps. The only thing I forgot was swabbing patches... but I figured who needs them with a White.

So I loaded up 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and a fiber wad, and that big conical slid down the barrel just perfect. Capped it and shot the first round on the clean barrel. That by the way is a 3X5 index card with some electrical tape on it. The first shot was good, so I just kept shooting....
That load looked pretty good.

504white001jpg.jpg

Since shooting at the index card was kind of out of the question, I picked out a shipping marker on the box and took a shot. This time I left the wad off. I then aimed for that bullet hole and shot the rest of them. I still have not swabbed the barrel mind you. And the gun has fired perfect. That load worked pretty good as well although it hits a little to the left.

504white004jpg.jpg

Now I looked in my range bag and found some dirty old swab patches. No solvent so I gave that a lick and discovered that black powder has a nasty taste to it... I swabbed the barrel and changed over to some Pyrodex P. Again I loaded 70 grains and my note book says no wad so.. I found a index card in the shooting bag and stole a little of the electrical tape off the other target and made a new index card target for the Pyrodex test.

504white008jpg.jpg

The Pyrodex P shot perfect as usual, and really there was little fowling. Then for kicks, I loaded 120 grains of Graf's & Sons 3f powder and a 500 grain conical. I only took two shots. I marked them A and decided since I am not hunting elephant this year, I do not want to shoot those conicals with 120 grains of powder.

After that I broke out some pop cans and some REAL conicals I had lubed and sized down to .504. Those REAL with 60 grains of Pyrodex P are really accurate and fun to shoot. So I wasted a large number of them.

Finally I called it a day and went to clean the rifle. Breech plug was stuck tight. And I mean tight!!! So I put a cap on the end of the nipple and filled the barrel with hot soapy water and set it outside in the sun. Five minutes later I dumped it, and put the barrel lug in a vice and was finally able to turn it out. I have no idea why that breech plug got that tight. It never does that on my White, but I was glad I got it out. I was using Slick 50 one grease as my breech plug grease. Maybe it was the heat, or the extended firing.

Whites are not the new fancy rifles like people go after these days. They are old school open breech inline rifles. But, I would not sell mine for the world. I can shoot all day, not have to swab, accuracy is outstanding, the bullets are cheap, and I can not think of any thing that would want to be on the receiving end of that conical. I think most my shots will be under 50 yards so if a deer steps out, I have a good chance of a solid hit...

Thanks for the report Dave and good shooting!

I have had breechplugs stick before on Whites...you really have to be careful. After the first few shots I usually just crack the seal on the breechplug and keep shooting. You really have to watch those breechplugs. I used to think it was a Triple Se7en thing but in my experience it's with ANYTHING.

Again..good report and I can't wait for you to shoot something with that!

great shooting 8) those whites run like a top. i have a breaker bar handle for my whites ... still have stuck a few plugs. usually its directly related to how many rounds ive fired. if i get over 20 shots or so ... stuck plug. 10 shots or less ... no problem whatsoever. if stuck, i use a hammer to "loosen" it up :D

Batchief909 and others

I am one of those fortunate souls that has not stuck a breech plug in years in any of my inlines (I am knocking on wood as I type) I use only teflon tape and no grease. The color of the tape depends on the fit of the breech plug... looking at my White it has pink tape. The treads of the BP and the threads in the barrel have been polished so that they are smooth and not as sharp as they are new. That way they do not cut the tape, but they do compress it.

The one thing that has really made the difference - I think - is that I overwrap the nose and pat it down on the face of the BP. When it is installed correctly - look down the bore with a light and you should see tape all the way around the bore on the face of the BP... Snug the BP up to compress the tape at the nose to create a gas seal at that point.

The first shot blows the tape back into the seal even tighter to complete the seal...

Seems to work for me...

Sabotloader......Your method is the one I use. I just use grease as an "insurance". :wink:

You posted some pics quite awhile back. You still got 'em??

Good fodder.... :wink: I ain't stuck once since.... :wink:

I made that drawing so much better, you can't possibly take that breech plug out. :wink:

ay0fnn.jpg

Sabotloader... where do you find the pink tape? I have looked for it and all I ever found was the white. Which does work mind you. I think I will tape and grease like I used to do. I was just having such good luck with that Slick 50 One Grease, I never really thought of the breech plug until I tried to take it out...

White Rifles normally give me little problems. I fixed the tight cap problem a while back as my RWS would have to be set on the nipple and then actually false fired, then I would load the rifle and the next strike would fire it. I just did a little smoothing out of the nipple to fix that. Maybe that's why when the breech plug was seized, I was kind of surprised.

Also I made some scope covers from Underclocked drawings and they work perfect. I made them in all sorts of colors so I know which fits which rifle... so breech fowling is not even a problem. With the QD rings, the Nikon comes right off, and I clean that easy too...

The use of Teflon tape is one of the best hints you shared . No grease on the breach plug and the thread are always spotless and the tape overlapping in the front , really stops anything from going buy . :D
THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Back