Optima pistol strikes again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on this accomplishment! :lewis:

I’m more impressed by this now than I would’ve been a month ago. I had an elderly gentleman on another message board approach me about killing a deer and/or pig with his Encore 6.5x55 pistol, because he’s not able to do it himself anymore. I‘d never shot a pistol in a rifle cartridge, and it’s more of a challenge than I anticipated. After practicing with it, I’m confident I‘ll be able to do it when a target presents itself.

Congrats on this accomplishment! :lewis:

I’m more impressed by this now than I would’ve been a month ago. I had an elderly gentleman on another message board approach me about killing a deer and/or pig with his Encore 6.5x55 pistol, because he’s not able to do it himself anymore. I‘d never shot a pistol in a rifle cartridge, and it’s more of a challenge than I anticipated. After practicing with it, I’m confident I‘ll be able to do it when a target presents itself.
Good for you! Honestly I enjoy the challenge of the pistol way more than I do the rifle stuff. I took a couple days off to process my deer and pplan to be in the stand again a half hour before any kind of light again. Pistol in the stand. If I don't score, the next day will be the Patriot again. Then the pistol, then the patriot....until I either run out of season or get lucky again. lol

The level of concentration and focus when using a pistol is about five times that needed with a long gun. And when thr recoil is over and you see your target laying there the degree of self fulfilment is astronomical.

Not a huge deer but I figure any pistol kill I make at my age is a worth kill.

.225 grain, .44 cal Barnes XPB bullet in a plain green sabot ahead of 63 weighed grains of BH 209. 62 yards broadside pretty much in deep grass. No heart left at all and the lungs were pretty much soup.
########## Snuck up to ur shed and helped myself, posted pic of tonites snack. And by they way, welcome to the chrome dome club..shortyIMG_3176.jpeg
Really windy this morning but being Monday hunter presence was mill, well except for me. A lot of deer traffic right at first light but well out of range for me or moving and not stopping. I was just getting settle for the wait until 10 when I planned to jump ship because it’s supposed to be ridiculous warm later today when I turned and looked at this grassy patch that hasn’t had a deer in it this season and saw it’s back.
I got the pistol tested and sighted and when he took a couple steps and turned, boom. Dropped on the spot. Hit right where I aimed.

This guy is just right for some tasty sticks.

Back